Sutton county axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sutton county axis

Anyone who hunts or owns property in or around Sonora seeing a decrease in axis? I know axis are nomads but we still would see small groups here and there. We have water and food and almost no hunting pressure. I’m thinking trappers have found Sonora and are really making a dent. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Haven’t even seen any dead ones on the roads either. We are 10 miles outside Sonora.

I just got on a place outside of Junction and have seen a few on camera but have no idea what to expect. I think I’ve had cameras out for a month and seen probably 20 different ones and around 20 different Aoudad with 6 Sika mixed in.

Axis traps all around us.

Comment

[QUOTE=Black Ice;n26789506]I just got on a place outside of Junction and have seen a few on camera but have no idea what to expect. I think I’ve had cameras out for a month and seen probably 20 different ones and around 20 different Aoudad with 6 Sika mixed in.

dang! Do yall see the traps off the road?

Comment

The freeze knocked out a bunch of them and trappers got the rest! The more whiskey I drank the more I wished that helicopter would have crashed! We hardly see them anymore. They used to be all over.

Comment

[QUOTE=TexasTrophyBowhunter;n26789533]
          Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
          I just got on a place outside of Junction and have seen a few on camera but have no idea what to expect. I think I’ve had cameras out for a month and seen probably 20 different ones and around 20 different Aoudad with 6 Sika mixed in.

dang! Do yall see the traps off the road?
          A couple. I had no idea it was even a thing until I got on this new place. Kinda sucks but what are you going to do. It’s their property to do what they want and they are an exotic so why not make some money selling them.

Comment

[QUOTE=Black Ice;n26789566]
            Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post

A couple. I had no idea it was even a thing until I got on this new place. Kinda sucks but what are you going to do. It’s their property to do what they want and they are an exotic so why not make some money selling them.
            You’re 100 percent right about their property. We never found any dead on our place after the freeze. I’ve got cameras set up on trails where we usually see them and now nothing. Especially now the rut is heating up we would usually start seeing good rubs popping up

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
              The freeze knocked out a bunch of them and trappers got the rest! The more whiskey I drank the more I wished that helicopter would have crashed! We hardly see them anymore. They used to be all over.
              We had plenty after the freeze and then the stinking trappers moved in. They couldn’t just trap a few and leave… No, they had to stay in the area until there were none left. We went from having herds, for years, to not a single one in over 2.5 years.. That practice should be against the law.

Comment

Originally posted by PondPopper View Post

We had plenty after the freeze and then the stinking trappers moved in. They couldn’t just trap a few and leave… No, they had to stay in the area until there were none left. We went from having herds, for years, to not a single one in over 2.5 years.. That practice should be against the law.
                Yep that’s the problem. I’ve seen traps out for months at a time. I can just imagine all the ones we don’t see. I just want to know what kind of fees they use to bring those suckers into a feeder like that lol 😂

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post

Yep that’s the problem. I’ve seen traps out for months at a time. I can just imagine all the ones we don’t see. I just want to know what kind of fees they use to bring those suckers into a feeder like that lol 😂
                  Bulk Protein feeders and Alfalfa hay.

Comment

We used to see them pretty often where we’re at in Boerne. Started getting flyers in the mail about getting cash to let them trap on your property about a year ago. Think some neighbors took the bait. Haven’t seen any in 6 months.

Comment

Trapping and reselling Axis is a good business right now. They are in demand.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        Trapping and reselling Axis is a good business right now. They are in demand.
                        Because of their high monetary value that is all the more reason the practice of trapping them should be made illegal or at least highly regulated. Human greed is an ugly thing and the greed has gotten out of hand since the freeze.. Many landowners are pizzed about losing valuable assets, my bet is changes are coming. I sure hope.

Comment

Originally posted by PondPopper View Post

Because of their high monetary value that is all the more reason the practice of trapping them should be made illegal or at least highly regulated. Human greed is an ugly thing and the greed has gotten out of hand since the freeze.. Many landowners are pizzed about losing valuable assets, my bet is changes are coming. I sure hope.
                          I’m not arguing with you here but they are not domestic ( I know that you know this)! I don’t want state or feds to start regulating anything that is not domestic.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post

I’m not arguing with you here but they are not domestic ( I know that you know this)! I don’t want state or feds to start regulating anything that is not domestic.
                            Yes - we need less government in all aspects , especially on trying to regulate non domestic animals. Most land owners I know do not want the government imposing more regulations on them & what they can do on the own private property. You start putting regulations/restrictions on Axis & where does it stop. Be careful what you ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post

Yes - we need less government in all aspects , especially on trying to regulate non domestic animals. Most land owners I know do not want the government imposing more regulations on them & what they can do on the own private property. You start putting regulations/restrictions on Axis & where does it stop. Be careful what you ask for.
                              I’m not saying it’s a good thing either but when you have big low fence ranches, who have generated revenue for years by selling axis hunts, and then the neighbor gets greedy and traps them all out, you can bet the $h!t will eventually hit the fan.. Trapping a few and moving on is one thing but trapping solid for 2 years, until there are none left, is pure greed and stupidity. Both will cause problems..

Comment

Working...
                              X