Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailer license plate mount/bracket that wont break off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer license plate mount/bracket that wont break off?

The license plates for both my boat trailers have broken off, and its not the first time. One was plastic, the other was aluminum. Anybody know of one that wont break off after a while? Im guessing they are breaking off when I pull out of the water

Thought about just attaching a stainless cable tether but surely there is a decent one out there

Man good question, following along as this has happened to me a few times. Im guessing some sort of swivel mounting option of some sort would help.

Comment

I make mine out of rubber conveyor belt material and put nylon threaded nuts on the bolts.

Comment

Type receiver hitch license plate mount in Amazon, other options besides hitch mount pop up

Comment

My problem is backing up to or over something that bends the license plate holder, so after time of straightening and bending they break off. What I did was get a hold of a piece of the opaque rubber strip that is used to help keep the cold in cooler vaults when the door is open, cut a strip, attack my license plate along one edge and connect the opposite edge of the rubber strip to the trailer frame. It is stiff enough that the plate hangs down straight but bends when I back up against something that used to bend the bracket. No more problems.

Comment

When I had a boat, I made a hanger with piano hinge.

Comment

Mount it to the back of the fender

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                This

Comment

I bolted the license plates to door hinges on the boat trailer and utility trailer. Haven’t lost one in years.

Comment

Amazon.com: SurePlate TM Trailer/Truck EM16001 Rubber License Plate Holder Bracket, Economy-Max : Automotive

This has worked great for my car hauler.

Comment

Aren't you a machinest?

Comment

SKLOSS is spot on.

Comment

I cut a piece of stainless steel the same size as the license plate and mounted it to the regular mount on the trailer. No more license plates getting tore up!

Bisch

Comment

Stainless piano hinge is the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                              Mine is screwed to the finder turned sideways and wrapped to the curve of the fender. I had a sheriff tell me I needed to fix it and turn it the proper way. I told him "Heck, I'm just lucky I have one at all on it. And, its current."

Comment

Working...
                              X