Exhaust valve replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    Did the valve drop and damage the head? There must be more to the repair than one valve for that much.

Did he not give more detail on the repair? Is he replacing the whole head and valve train?
    I’d assume if it’s just low on compression, it didn’t drop a valve.

Odds are there is some carbon or other crud caught in there keeping it from making a good seal. I’d bet there are some shade tree mechanic tricks you could try on your own to see if you can get it cleaned up before having to pull a head. Couple bucks and some of your time to give it a shot could save some big bucks before just pulling a head off.

Comment

Yea there is a 100% chance I would doing this job myself..

“The average cost for a Toyota Tacoma Cylinder Head Replacement is between $3,839 and $4,392. Labor costs are estimated between $1,669 and $2,106 while parts are priced between $2,169 and $2,287.​“

Comment

Just when I thought Toyotas never broke down. 😆

Comment

Way too much for 1 valve...

Comment

This morning I stopped by Gullo Toyota and explained the situation and gave them the vin number. Even though I am not the original owner that repair would fall under the manufacturer warranty of 5 years/60k on powering. I’m just under the 5 year mark and at 59k on the truck. I have to pay the current mechanic $400 for his diagnostic work and then pay the dealership $160 for them to diagnosis the problem. If it is the exhaust valve as the first mechanic says I get my $160 back and they fix the truck. I’m outta luck regardless with the original mechanic who looked at it first.

Comment

Boy, that first mechanic sounds like a crook.

$400 for a diagnostic? Did it take him 4 hours to diagnose? Yes or no, the answer would not be good.

Hope the dealership works out for ya.

J

Comment

I’m pretty sure it didn’t take him 4 hours. I’m kinda kicking myself for not taking it to the dealership first. Never thought of manufacturers warranty till it was mentioned here. Here’s praying what the dealership said was true and it is covered. They have to diagnose it themselves which I understand completely. Just afraid of getting further hosed over

Comment

Its a lot of crap to remove and replace on these newer ones.

Comment

you can buy a set of remanufactured cylinder heads for probably $1500 for the pair. Can't be too hard of a swap

Comment

Originally posted by elhefe View Post
                      This morning I stopped by Gullo Toyota and explained the situation and gave them the vin number. Even though I am not the original owner that repair would fall under the manufacturer warranty of 5 years/60k on powering. I’m just under the 5 year mark and at 59k on the truck. I have to pay the current mechanic $400 for his diagnostic work and then pay the dealership $160 for them to diagnosis the problem. If it is the exhaust valve as the first mechanic says I get my $160 back and they fix the truck. I’m outta luck regardless with the original mechanic who looked at it first.
                      That is fantastic though if the dealership fixes it under warranty.

Yeah the $400 sucks, but for $160 you get your second opinion and possibly the fix for free(or very cheap). Really hope they find the same thing the first guy did and it’s covered under warranty for you.

Comment

Originally posted by elhefe View Post
                        Some lessons cost a lot more than $400.

Comment

well guys it is the same amount of work to get to the valves and replace them whether it be 1 or 4 on one side.

Comment

Just a quick update. Gullo Toyota covered the repair to the truck and are actually replacing the whole cylinder. Apparently this is not all that uncommon according to the tech. They gave me a rental car. Should take a week or so to fix. Praise God because I didn’t have 4 grand to just throw out there

Comment

thats a score!

Comment

That’s good news!

Comment

Working...
                                X