Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post

It's TRUE I promise
    Hah! That’s hysterical! Your wife obviously has a great sense of humor, making you a very lucky man.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

Hah! That’s hysterical! Your wife obviously has a great sense of humor, making you a very lucky man.
      I will concede, I am a very lucky man. Nevertheless, dogs, women, n children are very much alike. Consistency plus swift stern punishment = training results!!!!

Comment

When you use the collar , sandwich the correction ( Shock ) between verbal commands . This will make it known that the shock came from you with the verbal command. Example : Sit (shock) Sit . No ( shock) No . Be very vocal so that they hear you scream the command right about the time you weld their butt shut. This is how I was taught to collar condition a dog it works well .

Comment

Originally posted by KRB View Post
          When you use the collar , sandwich the correction ( Shock ) between verbal commands . This will make it known that the shock came from you with the verbal command. Example : Sit (shock) Sit . No ( shock) No . Be very vocal so that they hear you scream the command right about the time you weld their butt shut. This is how I was taught to collar condition a dog it works well .
          That's what I did with my lab n my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post

I will concede, I am a very lucky man. Nevertheless, dogs, women, n children are very much alike. Consistency plus swift stern punishment = training results!!!!
            That’s what she said!

Comment

Originally posted by scott1022 View Post

Honest question because I respect your opinion. But my thoughts to the shock collar are that they can listen to my voice, or they can get shocked. So wouldn't my voice tell them where the punishment is coming from? They don't listen, they get shocked.

My dachshund took off after a fox the other night. I rarely have to shock her, but that night she did not listen to my voice and got lit up several times. Not even 3 minutes later we crossed paths with the same fox that she ran off. She took off again, she did not listen to my voice again. So I shocked her good again. Since that night she has been very obedient to my voice even with being tempted to chase the neighbors cat (her favorite pass time).
              The problem with e collars for most people is that they feel that it is an instant communication tool. It is not. You don't put a shock collar on a dog, wait for him to display aggressive behaviors, and then pushing the button to punish for those actions. Sometimes you can get away with that but the purpose of a correction is to enforce an obedience command once the dog has learned what that stimuli means and how to turn it off - by offering an alternate behavior such as leave it, come to heel, sit, stay...
              It is a great tool to teach a dog that his actions has direct connectable consequences (be it reward or punishment - in a classical operant conditioning sense). But it only works if the dog knows how to correct the behavior. In dogs that need behavior modification for fear based aggression, anxiety, or guarding behaviors it can give that dog even more anxiety.​

Comment

Originally posted by Huntergirl723 View Post

X2
                X’s 3

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post

The problem with e collars for most people is that they feel that it is an instant communication tool. It is not. You don't put a shock collar on a dog, wait for him to display aggressive behaviors, and then pushing the button to punish for those actions. Sometimes you can get away with that but the purpose of a correction is to enforce an obedience command once the dog has learned what that stimuli means and how to turn it off - by offering an alternate behavior such as leave it, come to heel, sit, stay...
                  It is a great tool to teach a dog that his actions has direct connectable consequences (be it reward or punishment - in a classical operant conditioning sense). But it only works if the dog knows how to correct the behavior. In dogs that need behavior modification for fear based aggression, anxiety, or guarding behaviors it can give that dog even more anxiety.​
                  Very well explained! Thanks for circling back.

Comment

Working...
                  X