Taxes, it's always something.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miket View Post
    Been trying to push this to the back of my mind the last few weeks. Second year in a row that I paid more than twice what I made in salary in 2017. They do everything they can to keep you down. As soon as you start making money after years of building a business you are absolutely hammered.
    “Who is John Galt?”

I feel for you. In the Land of Opportunity, it’s very demotivating.

Comment

Somebody gotta pay taxes for all the cheaters and better lifers.

Comment

yep...I got the "underpaid" taxes ding too.....F'em

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
          Don't feel bad. I paid about $27,000 in quarterly payments for myself and then my CPA says I shorted the IRS another $4500. Paid that today. I HATE the IRS! It's robbery that we have become accustomed to. It's taxation without representation all over again. They waste our tax money in the worst of ways and we have to sit by and just accept it. Did I mention I hate the IRS?
          You are targeting the wrong entity. The IRS doesn't tax you, spend your money wastefully, or make laws to take more of your money, Congress does. Let's do something about those bastages first.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tax.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	26768729

Wasteful pork spending aggravates this old man.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntergirl723 View Post

You are targeting the wrong entity. The IRS doesn't tax you, spend your money wastefully, or make laws to take more of your money, Congress does. Let's do something about those bastages first.
              A VERY good point! Remember this when it’s time to go to the polls.

Comment

They are idiots! They claimed several years ago I did not pay my taxes. I have the cancelled check and the transaction number. Every year I get a notice that this years payment was applied to last year because the stupid people that work there can’t get the crap together. So each year I have to talk to them and explain their mistake AGAIN! I have a running list of who I talked to, date, and their ID number. You would think on a joint return they look at both social security numbers but they don’t. Only 1 is used. God help you if a payment gets applied to the other ss number.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntergirl723 View Post

Oh I get that totally. But the IRS is the gun that they use to rob us.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post

All we have are my W2 and my wife's W2. Last year I loaded up TurboTax and filed like I do every year, a week or so before the deadline. Both of our employers we're claiming "0" or whatever, so they're taking max our of our checks unless we need to have more withheld from the checks on top of that. Employers withheld 67% of our total tax liability so if not getting to that 90% is what this is from then it makes sense and I need to plan on it in the future.
                    That's exactly what it is...it's their money and they want it now!!
                    I've paid the underpayment penalty 2 years in a row. Too many people figured out that overpaying the IRS and getting a refund at the end of the year was a terrible savings plan and started paying less in during the year. The IRS didn't like losing all that free money they were getting to draw interest on all year so they figured out a way to get some of it back. Now to not pay the penalty but to also not let the government use your money for free all year you have be pretty clever to reach that perfect 90-100% range when calculating what to have deducted every paycheck.

Comment

Just think of all the better lifers and Ukrainians you’re helping.

Comment

Change your withholding amount. If your employer doesn't have you fill out a new W-4 form every year or two, they aren't doing you any favors. You have a few options on the W4. Change to married filing separately, change the number of dependents, or simply ask to have extra money withheld. You may have to actually read the instructions while filling out the form. I never did, but they weren't hitting me with underpayment penalties either.

Comment

This is not an employer issue, you withheld “0”. Contact a CPA and fill out W4 correctly.

Originally posted by justletmein View Post

All we have are my W2 and my wife's W2. Last year I loaded up TurboTax and filed like I do every year, a week or so before the deadline. Both of our employers we're claiming "0" or whatever, so they're taking max our of our checks unless we need to have more withheld from the checks on top of that. Employers withheld 67% of our total tax liability so if not getting to that 90% is what this is from then it makes sense and I need to plan on it in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                            This is not an employer issue, you withheld “0”. Contact a CPA and fill out W4 correctly.

I read it as he was checking 0 dependents?

Comment

I used this the last couple years as a contractor to adjust my withholding. I wound up having the payroll company hold more out each check so I didn’t get hit with a big bill and penalties in April.

Check your W-4 tax withholding with the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator. See how your withholding affects your refund, paycheck or tax due.

I hate paying taxes enough that I don't want to pay any extra.

Comment

Withholding "0" assumes max amount, but something is off. Hiring a good CPA is worth it.

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

I read it as he was checking 0 dependents?

Comment

Working...
                                X