Has anyone sailed from TX to Bahamas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone sailed from TX to Bahamas?

Used to crew catamarans growing up in Hawaii and started to get back into sailing and want to get my girls growing up on the water like I did. Has anyone sailed from Texas to the keys and the bahamas? I've been reading a lot on it and seems like can be hit or miss. I've got experience sailing inter island but those are quick and easy as once you get to the channel is just cruising.

A buddy of mine just rented his house out and sailed from Virginia down to the Bahamas and then finished in Florida. He was on a Catamaran with his wife/daughter/dog for good part of a year.

Comment

A buddy sailed from Galveston to the Keys and then to Guatemala and recently returned.

Comment

We trailed a 26’ center console to Fort Lauderdale and then drove it to Nassau. What a freaking time we had, a whole week in Nassau with our own boat to do whatever, whenever we wanted.

Attached Files

Comment

The wives flew into Nassau something about a 8-10 hour boat ride not being fun

Comment

Lots of folks on YouTube doing it. I would love to retire to a 40 footer and live down there

Comment

Thanks all. Figure Galveston to FL a couple times will be good warm ups for them. Unfortunately right now with work travel I can’t get more than 2 weeks off at a time, wish I had a fully remote gig I could do anywhere. Wife agreed that a cruiser for the lakes up here and a cat to keep at the coast makes sense… I don’t think she has a clue what a catamaran costs or maybe she just saw the comfort they offer and wants that

Comment

This is something I want to do before I die, lot's of factors to consider and life just doesn't allow it at this time. I'd like to do it in a monohull.

ac

Comment

would love this one but unfortunately slightly outside of the budget. I know the current owner and this boat has been on some bad *** expeditions
                  Gunboat 48 Performance Cruising Catamaran. Seriously for sale and ready to go wherever you want to go! The embodiment of spirit and adventure, this Gunboat 48 is on the...Find out more

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                    We trailed a 26’ center console to Fort Lauderdale and then drove it to Nassau. What a freaking time we had, a whole week in Nassau with our own boat to do whatever, whenever we wanted.

How are you liking that Yamaha FSH? I've been looking at them for the past couple years.

Comment

I have sailed on catamarans in the Bahamas and lots of the gulf coast ...........but never between Bahamas & Texas...............sounds like an awesome adventure!!!! I say deaux it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                        I have sailed on catamarans in the Bahamas and lots of the gulf coast ...........but never between Bahamas & Texas...............sounds like an awesome adventure!!!! I say deaux it!!!
                        We’re shopping for a bigger house right now and asked my 3yo tonight if she wanted a pool at the next house or a sailboat that we can go to the beach and she said no new house just a big boat so I’ve got 1/3 on my side! Going to check out some local cruisers next week to get back into the swing of things even if it’s just on lakes

Comment

Originally posted by Adgerc15 View Post
                          This is something I want to do before I die, lot's of factors to consider and life just doesn't allow it at this time. I'd like to do it in a monohull.

ac
                          A 40’+ mono would be fun but it’s hard to beat the comfort of a big cat on long sails. We’ll have 4, me/wife, 6 and 3yo girls and a corgi. By the time this becomes a reality it’ll be 7 and 4yo at least. I like the separate quarters, or at least mom can stay with them. Plus I remember a few trips we did circling the islands for some families and the kids being on the trampolines when dolphins cruise with you is hard to beat

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post

Y’all look so, um…happy?

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

Y’all look so, um…happy?
                              well 3 of the 4 might have had a slight headache from too many libations the night before and we had motors running at 6 AM.

A lot of people were calling us crazy to run a 26’ center all the way to Nassau but we all have a ton of boating experience and we’re very well prepared.

Comment

Working...
                              X