No announcement yet.

Solar Generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BLUETTI EB70S 800w portable power station, designed to be a portable power station for camping, great for hiking, fishing, and emergency. Shop Now!

We got this model a year or so ago, and have been very pleased. It was $600 back then, and appears to be $400 now, through the Bluetti site.

Our place is off grid, and we’re only there a day or two per week. This generator isn’t asked to do a whole lot when we’re there- run the TV, charge phones, run fans, and maybe a string of lights outside our camper, etc.

The generator stays hooked up to a 100w solar panel, so it always have plenty of charge for our weekly visits. This model may be their smallest, as Bluetti has a variety of more powerful models, depending on projected uses.
    Last edited by sandbill; 04-10-2024, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Thank all of you for your help and suggestions. I just bought the Jackery 3000 Plus with transfer switch which will automatically power my house minus the big unit. It was real close between this one and the Ecoflow but I am confident with my choice. The $1200 discount was a factor as well. I also may supplement that with another one or put one together with panel(s) and extra batts along with a converter.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post

This fan on low lasted 4 Loooong nights (9pm-7am) on a 4ah battery.

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...s/33287210978#
        I bought this as well. Great idea. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntergirl723 View Post
          Thank all of you for your help and suggestions. I just bought the Jackery 3000 Plus with transfer switch which will automatically power my house minus the big unit. It was real close between this one and the Ecoflow but I am confident with my choice. The $1200 discount was a factor as well. I also may supplement that with another one or put one together with panel(s) and extra batts along with a converter.
          That thing's a beast, I think you'll be happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            We tested my son's 2000W this weekend on his camper. It's good for the little things like lights, and short use items like a microwave or coffee pot. When he turned on the AC gen said it would last for 58 minutes. But i was a little surprised that the little dude had enough Amps to start the AC at all, but it did.
            Accidental quote

Last edited by Treeshark; 04-10-2024, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I went and bought a Jackery PRO 3000 after reading this post. For emergency power at home or our cabin, as well as power on house remodels and makeready without power, this thing should rock! Also camping benefits. The $1200 discount was also a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post

I went and bought a Jackery PRO 3000 after reading this post. For emergency power at home or our cabin, as well as power on house remodels and makeready without power, this thing should rock! Also camping benefits. The $1200 discount was also a factor.
                Cool. I'm glad I brought it to your attention and all the comments and suggestions were helpful as well. I plan to come back to this thread after I get it and play with it. I hope you do too.

Comment

I know absolutely nothing about solar generators but having lived on the coast for 58 years, and “riding out” a cat 3 and a cat 4, I do know about hurricanes.
                  If a 5 is bearing down on you, please leave!!

Comment

Originally posted by PondPopper View Post
                    I know absolutely nothing about solar generators but having lived on the coast for 58 years, and “riding out” a cat 3 and a cat 4, I do know about hurricanes.
                    If a 5 is bearing down on you, please leave!!
                    My first experience with hurricanes started with Alicia, in 1983, while staying at Galveston Kroger's on the Seawall for about a week, continuing with all the rest since then, in southern Brazoria County, including Ike and Harvey, being the latest. I have never left once. Be prepared and like Tom Petty used to say, Never be a Refugee. In the OP, I stated I live in a 200 mph wind-resistant home that was built on the highest ground on the peninsula. Harvey didn't touch it. I am no fool and I ain't leaving. But, thank you for your concern and I really mean that.

Comment

We still have our Alicia era Honda 5000 watt gas generator, and it hasn’t missed a lick since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                        We still have our Alicia era Honda 5000 watt gas generator, and it hasn’t missed a lick since then.
                        Hondas anything are sure hard to beat

Comment

Well, I got my solar generator(78 lbs) and it is a beast, for sure. Best packaging ever, I opened it up and played with it all day long. I put the 2 200-watt solar panels (unopened) away for when I need them (hopefully, never) and wall-charged them. Starting at 28%, it took about an hour and a half to get to 100%. The only thing I played with that did not work was a hair dryer which pulled over 1500w and shut down. For comparison, I had my lamp hooked up and on and the gauge showed zero, but the light was on for 20 minutes. I am so glad I bought this for peace of mind.
                          I also bought the switch and need a certified electrician to hook it up to my house for a near-instant conversion. Does anyone have an idea how much that will run?

Comment

Well, I got my solar generator(78 lbs) and it is a beast, for sure. Best packaging ever, I opened it up and played with it all day long. I put the 2 200-watt solar panels (unopened) away for when I need them (hopefully, never) and wall-charged them. Starting at 28%, it took about an hour and a half to get to 100%. The only thing I played with that did not work was a hair dryer which pulled over 1500w and shut down. For comparison, I had my lamp hooked up and on and the gauge showed zero, but the light was on for 20 minutes. I am so glad I bought this for peace of mind.
                            I also bought the switch and need a certified electrician to hook it up to my house for a near-instant conversion. Does anyone have an idea how much that will run?
                            1500 shut it down? Hmmmm... See if your microwave will run on it. I figured it should but it's probably not pulling too much less.

Comment

^^^ the issue with some devices is they creat a big spike in current demand at initial start up. It is generally a lot bigger than actual running current/wattage. That initial high draw of current can be perceived as a short circuit by safety/protection circuitry in the generator which responds by cutting power. Any thing with an electric motor is an inductive type load and tends to creat such a spike draw. I wouldn’t think such a small motor would creat that big of a spike however. If the dryer has separate heat settings along with multiple blower speeds you might try starting it at the lowest settings.

Additionally, you might consider contacting the manufacturer and see what they say as to running a hair dryer. On a separate note, you might also consider running the batteries down and charging them with the solar panels. It will give you a realistic idea as to how fast the panels actually charge the generator plus you verify they actually work.

Comment

My BIL had one put in 2 years ago. Guy charged him $250 if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
                                X