Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Tree Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree Help

We had a semi-large pecan tree fall over. The root ball is still fairly rooted in and it is starting to bud out leaves. I’m really hoping to keep the tree alive because it looks pretty cool down and is in an area of our yard that I actually wanted to let grow up anyways. Any advice on best plan to keep it alive? I thought about dumping some dirt around the roots and then just watering. Also thought about dumping some fertilizer near the roots to help keep it alive.
    We also have a few oaks near our house pad that don’t look too healthy. Really spindly looking top halves with some branches that don’t have any leaves left. I was thinking about cutting those branches back and then putting some fertilizer down.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Do what you prescribed on the Pecan. Most of the feeder roots are outside the canopy, so water the entire area especially further out. Be easy on the nitrogen if at all…too much nitrogen will cause the tree to focus on top growth and not root growth. You may skip the nitrogen altogether. Maybe focus on potassium and phophorus and micronutrients.

The oaks might simply just pushed their leaves out for rebud or could be oak wilt. Ive got oak wilt on my trees from the power company cuttingmy trees with infected blades.

Good luck MrHunt.
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 04-06-2024, 02:37 PM. Reason: MicronutrientSpake

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
      Do what you prescribed on the Pecan. Most of the feeder roots are outside the canopy, so water the entire area especially further out. Be easy on the nitrogen if at all…too much nitrogen will cause the tree to focus on top growth and not root growth. You may skip the nitrogen altogether. Maybe focus on potassium and phophorus and micronutrients.

The oaks might simply just pushed their leaves out for rebud or could be oak wilt. Ive got oak wilt on my trees from the power company cuttingmy trees with infected blades.

Good luck MrHunt.
      Thanks for the advice. I’ll pick up some fertilizer tomorrow.
      Is there anything to be done for oak wilt?

Comment

I'd like to see it after it's fully budded out.

If you'd be so kind, take a picture at your leisure and post it, please.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post

Thanks for the advice. I’ll pick up some fertilizer tomorrow.
          Is there anything to be done for oak wilt?
          Nothing thats econimically feasible or has any lasting effect. Make sure to clean your sawblades afterwards when you eventually have to cut them. 10-20% bleach water solution should be fine.

It may not be oak wilt. Maybe simply stressed from lack of water. Ive had that happen on older oaks. Again water on the fringes of the canopy to hit up the feeder roots.

Think of a tree like an iceberg. 2/3 of the biomass you dont see and is underground.

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
            I'd like to see it after it's fully budded out.

If you'd be so kind, take a picture at your leisure and post it, please.
            So it is basically fully budded out now. Looks to be healthy and I added some potassium and phosphorus slow release food stakes around the fringe of the roots.

Comment

Working...
            X