Sheep hunt gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheep hunt gear

I am going on a shepherd hunt in northern Alberta. I am not going to get to pull the trigger but assisting a great friend. For those who have been what are the must haves. We will spike camp 5 miles in and hunt 5 miles plus a day.
    I have a light weight tent and a jet boil for freeze dried food. Wanting to keep 7 day pack to about 45 pounds going in. Appreciate any good advise on gear.

Pack, boots, sleep system, in that order. Go to the Rokslide forum. It’s specific for mountain hunting. Use the search feature there. Probably a little too much information on there but it will either point you in the right direction or confuse you more

Comment

There’s a lot more to it than just any lightweight tent and a jet boil.

When are you going? What elevation? Weather? Temps? All things that determine exactly what gear you need. I’d start with figuring out your sleeping situation (bag/quilt, pad, etc), then on to footwear, from there your shelter, then start looking at other odds and ends. Hiking sticks are not required but they’ll come in handy more than they get in the way.

Also, if you’re planning on taking a stove, you need to find out what fuel you’re able to get once there because you can’t fly with it. Some places a canister stove is useless due to canister availability.

Comment

baby wipes to take a sheep hunter shower. mole skin for the blisters. chap stick. plenty of socks. take some form of ace bandage for when you twist your ankle. electrolyte powder in the single use packs. tabasco. a lighter. toilet paper emergency roll. take a bottle or gel tube of anbesol. q tips and bottle of monkey blood (Mercurochrome). some butterfly bandages. at least one good flashlight (small) and a headlamp with back up batteries. if you cannot handle a sting by a yellow jacket or bee take what you need for that.

the outfitter will have a list for you and will bring a lot, The key is to not take too much of anything but a little of what you may need. I hunted with a guy who broke a tooth off at the gum, bad news. the fact that I had a bottle of anbesol saved the hunt for him as he would have called for the plane to come get him, just think about what you need and pack it. have fun!

Comment

We are going in August in Northern Alberta. Temps will be cold but not brutal. Snow is a good possibility. We are driving so don’t have to worry about gas for the stove. We don’t have an outfitter going with us just one outlining where to go, camp, hunt etc. I think hiking sticks will be a good investment. Definitely will take the above mentioned first aid stuff. Thanks for the advice and will also get on the rockslide forum and do a search.

Comment

Working...
          X