Hows elk hunting north of Chama?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hows elk hunting north of Chama?

How good are the bull elk north of Chama along the NM/Colorado border near highway 17? I may have a chance to hunt near there Sept 15-21. Been a long time! If I recall that should be bugling time, right?

Big bulls up there

Comment

If you have a chance to hunt there during that time you should absolutely take the opportunity

Comment

That area is covered up with elk. More elk crossing signs then most places.

Comment

Almost all private and you will get bulls that are local that stay there all year and migrants coming in from Colorado if the snows hit early. Great area! I guided out of Chama for 4 years. Most of the bigger bulls ended up on the Jicarilla Reservation later in the season, but there are some great bulls in that area. Good luck!

Comment

It’s a long drive. I don’t mind going and hunting too.

good luck if you go.

Comment

Nice area and big bulls!

Comment

Thanks. I should get more information in a couple weeks.

I had just pulled out of the NM draw this year and now this popped up. Hopefully I get the chance to go!

Anyone have a bow I can rent? If I go I probably won't want to buy a new bow set up since I just don't bow hunt anymore.

Comment

Plentiful but this area is not the HUGE elk for NM. Don't take that comment the wrong way, You can kill a hammer for sure but it is not unit 16, 17 and several others. Great on some private ranches. I would not pass up the opportunity

Comment

If you get the opportunity to hunt such a great area buy a bow. Train with it and get used to it. Then after your hunt sell it if you wish. But don't try to rent one and cut yourself short and chance a non lethal shot because you've only had the bow a short while. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by Mission408 View Post
                      If you get the opportunity to hunt such a great area buy a bow. Train with it and get used to it. Then after your hunt sell it if you wish. But don't try to rent one and cut yourself short and chance a non lethal shot because you've only had the bow a short while. Just my .02
                      2 cents noted. I have not looked at new bows in years upon years (15+) What is a price range for one ready to hunt with arrows also now? Normally price wouldn't be a big deal but we just spent a lot of money and I told the wife the price of this hunt and then said well plus $700 for NM....plus food and getting there, and now plus a new bow set up starting to add up! I'll need new hiking boots also.

Comment

New can be expensive 1500ish. But keep in mind there are some great used ones ready to hunt for 1000, then sell after your hunt for 900. It's like renting a bow for 6 months for only 100$

Comment

Only elk I've killed was N of Chama in 2002! We had a blast! Went the second week of rifle season on our honeymoon! Wife took lots of pictures and fly fished in a little stream and we ate like kings! It was unseasonably warm for that time of year and the elk were going to bed early. I shot a nice 5x5 on the next to last day. A 300" bull was a big one where we went but it didn't matter to me! Sitting with my wife one evening we had about 30 elk come into the meadow we were watching. One was even a neck collared cow from Colorado I was told. Had a white neck collar! I didn't know they banded elk! We went with Chama River Outfitters. I couldn't tell you if they even exist anymore. Saw and heard elk every day and saw lots of mulies and even a bear. It was a $4500 trip back them. I'm sure its double that now. They bordered Chama Land and Cattle Co back then. That place had some huge elk and a huge price tag. Go and enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                          X