Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Brisket help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket help

I plan to serve a 15 pound brisket about 1:00 on Sunday. I would like to start the brisket tonight (Friday) around 10 PM. This should finish it later afternoon or evening Saturday. Can I wrap it in many towels and place it in a well sealed cooler till Sunday? FYI, cook at 225.

Wrap it in butcher paper and rest in the oven at 150° till its time to slice. I usually render some fat when cooking and then pour some on the brisket while it rests.

Comment

What time should we all come round?

Comment

Just curious why not start it early Saturday morning?

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
          Just curious why not start it early Saturday morning?
          more of a scheduling problem with Saturday. If it is a bad idea to have it rest to long then I can change things and start sat. Ultimately I am trying to figure out if you can rest to long. At some point temp will drop below 140. I am trying to figure out how long that would be if wrapped I multiple towels and then place in cooler.

Comment

I smoke till I get the color I want then wrap in butcher paper (you can use foil) till I'm 200 ish degrees internal. (once you wrap you can do that in the oven also) Then let it rest down to about 150 internal. Then I stick it in the oven (still wrapped) at lowest temp (mine is 160) the oven will go and thats where it stays until it's time to eat.

Comment

BTW, I left a prime brisket I did one time in the oven at 160 for 24 hours and it was awesome!

Comment

Another great method is to smoke the brisket and vacuum seal the whole packer. Once it cools down first some of course. The you can refrigerate until needed. Take out and give it a Sous Vide bath at 150 deg for 1 hour (or 2 if frozen). Once you take it out it will be just like you removed it from the smoker. ZERO loss of moisture and flavor! Make is super easy to pre-smoke and have ready at a moments notice.

Comment

How do bots create an account. I couldn't even pick my scren name, they said it was taken but I do a search and it doesn't show up. Hmmmm.

Comment

He may be a bot... His post is poorly worded, but what he (it) posted is fact. A cooled down vacuum sealed brisket whole, or cut up in chunks then warmed in hot water (you don't have to have a sous vide machine) is the best way to preserve a brisket and serve it later, a year or more later and it still tastes just like you got finished "resting" it when you take it out and slice it up.

Comment

When you reach 203f internal pull, & let rest on counter top for a few hours. Do not open the wrap. Then put it in the fridge. Day of party Put it in the oven, 300F for 3-4 hours (prior to dinner time.) Until internal temp is 160f. Pull and slice.

Did this yesterday. No complaints.

Comment

I used to do 10 briskets at a time for our company safety lunches. After they hit 165F or so, I would wrap in foil and when they were finshed, around 9PM the night before the lunch, stacked them all in a big cooler. They would still be screaming hot at lunch time the next day. Only problem was they ended up being a little over done but there were never any left overs!

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                          How do bots create an account. I couldn't even pick my scren name, they said it was taken but I do a search and it doesn't show up. Hmmmm.
                          Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          He may be a bot... His post is poorly worded, but what he (it) posted is fact. A cooled down vacuum sealed brisket whole, or cut up in chunks then warmed in hot water (you don't have to have a sous vide machine) is the best way to preserve a brisket and serve it later, a year or more later and it still tastes just like you got finished "resting" it when you take it out and slice it up.
                          Sorry to tell you but I'm NOT a bot and the poorly worded comment was a little uncalled for don't you think? Very welcoming. I was just trying to give some advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BearkatJeep View Post

Sorry to tell you but I'm NOT a bot and the poorly worded comment was a little uncalled for don't you think? Very welcoming. I was just trying to give some advice.
                            simmer down sparky. Or sous vi down maybe?

Comment

I agree with the vacuum sealing comments, it’s what I’ve been doing for years with brisket and butts. As mentioned, it doesn’t have to be kept whole if that is too much to heat up in water.

Comment

Working...
                              X