What is this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this thing?

Found in the pasture. Pretty heavy and about a inch thick. Threads appear to be about the same as a old glass telegraph insulator but not sure.

Pics

Comment

Looks like it could have been a screw in step of some sort. Threads would suggest it was made to screw into wood, old wagon part maybe?

Comment

It looks like the “spoon” that linemen use to crumb the holes dug by an auger when they are building an electric line. They have a loooooong wooden handle on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          It looks like the “spoon” that linemen use to crumb the holes dug by an auger when they are building an electric line. They have a loooooong wooden handle on them.
          If it was used to dig pole holes. It would be the spade. The spoon is cupped and tilted to extract the dirt loosened by the spade, on hand dug holes. But, these days hand diggers use post hole diggers with long handles (pvc pipe).

Comment

It's about 1 inch thick at its thinnest. Not sure how it would dig.

Comment

I’ve done linework for over 20 years.
              We always used slap sticks ( long post hole diggers)
              So that is probably old school.
              Before the days of bucket and digger trucks

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post

If it was used to dig pole holes. It would be the spade. The spoon is cupped and tilted to extract the dirt loosened by the spade, on hand dug holes. But, these days hand diggers use post hole diggers with long handles (pvc pipe).
                I was trying to see that picture on my phone while outside on my porch. I agree it looks different on my iPad.

Comment

Also the threads are not a common way to attach a hand tool handle.

Comment

I have sent the pics to a few folks that know a little bit about everything and they are still guessing also. This was found near a river bottom but little to no crop planting was done. Gas and powerlines are on the property but nothing right by where I found it. It's heavy.

Comment

Threads look thick. Like it might go onto the end of a pipe or sucker rod.

Wonder if has something to do with drilling of some sort. Water, oil, post hole.?.?.

And not sure if it is the picture being mirrored or not, but it looks like reversed threads.

J

Comment

I bet it was used to get ashes out of a wood stove

Comment

Would have Popeye arms from one cold front this thing is so heavy. It's not shaped to scoop. Also does not appear to have any twist but could be a bit of some sort.

Comment

Maybe very old jack hammer attachments before they came.up with a better option than threads

Comment

Looks like an old blacksmith forge shovel. Was there a blacksmith in close proximity? My grandfather was a blacksmith and we have some that look similar. They would use pipe or old hickory handles to attach them

Comment

Working...
                              X