Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance

I hate insurance. Every year I have to shop around for a new carrier to get coverage at anything close to last years cost. Shopping for insurance rates right up there with doing income taxes for me. Then you have to listen to the insurance guys whine about the carriers loosing money. When is the last time you remember an insurance company giving you a rebate when they made too much? Is there any alternative?

yeah you hate it until you need it - yep there is an alternative - self insure and hope you never have a claim
    Last edited by Huntingfool; 03-28-2024, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Find an independent agent to do all the searching for you.

Comment

I learned the hard way that I am the only one looking out for me in selecting insurance. The same coverage is not always the same coverage. Always some cute tricks.

Comment

Been with the same guy for 14 years. He always shopped it and up until this year I always felt like he had my best interests in mind. Now I'm not so sure. Did some checking around and looks like I'll be about 30% lower than what he quoted. Good Luck I hope you find it for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
            yep there is an alternative - self insure and hope you never have a claim
            It is getting close to where this financially might be a better option. If you could get just a liability coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
              Been with the same guy for 14 years. He always shopped it and up until this year I always felt like he had my best interests in mind. Now I'm not so sure. Did some checking around and looks like I'll be about 30% lower than what he quoted. Good Luck I hope you find it for cheap.
              Every time I’ve tried to use an independent agent I’ve been able to find better, or just as good, rates myself.

Comment

Thank your neighbor that gets a new roof every time some dime sized hail falls.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                  sure.

or he could be actually following his policy, which he bought and paid for.

it couldn’t possibly be the wasteful spending and ginormous executive salaries at the billion dollar insurance company, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post

sure.

it couldn’t possibly be the wasteful spending and ginormous executive salaries at the billion dollar insurance company, right?
                    Your insight, openness is always welcome and appreciated. Thank.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                      Well said,
                      hundreds of reasons why insurance keeps going up. The a holes in DC with their purposely created inflation devaluing the dollar is at the top of the list and the one you mentioned is part of the problem for sure.
                      Last edited by flywise; 03-29-2024, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

It is getting close to where this financially might be a better option. If you could get just a liability coverage.
                        For the average person self insure is never.going to be a financially better option. Not even close. And if you don't have a mortgage you can get a actual cash value policy that is cheaper. But home insurance is already a great value for what you get

Comment

sure.

What’s a PA charge these days? I never met one worth 10pxt in 15 years of adjusting claims but folks loved to tell you they had a PA. That said I wouldn’t work claims anymore. If I catch NE Tx out of crappie I might do the same! Make 5x as much for doing the same thing sounds good.

Comment

sure.

yep, how much money is wasted on Jake with State Farm, sports sponsorship, advertising, etc? I would be willing to bet there were more insurance commercials in the super bowl than any other industry.

I removed a vehicle I sold and my insurance premium still went up $75 per month. Insanity. And earlier this week I got into a fender bender which wasn't my fault and I may not even get fixed and it took 3 days to get in contact with the adjuster. In this process I also called a buddy of mine that works for a major body shop that I always use and he said he would have to see on working on my vehicle because as a matter of policy they no longer deal with my insurance company because they undercut how much they have to fix the vehicles so bad. From where I'm sitting I'm getting charged a hell of a lot more for a hell of a lot less but those in the business will still justify it. But I guess that is the new norm with society....
                            Last edited by cehorn; 03-29-2024, 07:26 AM.

Comment

So what’s the breaking point with all of this? Skyrocketing auto insurance rates, home insurance rates, property tax (just to scratch the surface), and stagnant wages making life very unaffordable for a lot of people.

It’s easy to say “just self insure” but that’s not realistic for the vast majority of the population. Is it going to take mass loan defaults or something of the like? There has to be a breaking point. I’m seeing articles that insurance is costing more than mortgages in some cases.

I also loathe escrow accounts as they tend to “hide” the cost of insurance and property tax from people’s eyes. I wish everybody would required to cut a check for these every year so they’d understand how much it actually costs and create more push back. But that’s a whole different topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X