Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

take a look at hammerhead kayaks. they do pedal and fin drives

Comment

Kayaks are tools, good to have a variety.
      have the Malibu PDL (Old Town Salty?) - big water, currents or longer distances, OK prowler 13 - marsh and skinny water yak, Native Ultimate - grand kid yak, Manta Ray - yard art yak…lol.

Try before you buy everyone else has said most of it already. And yea it can help you hold position, but you still have to adjust the rudder alot. The newer motorized with spotlock does it all for you…but big $$$

also i always buy used, find your local dealer and see if selling off any rentals.
      Attached Files

Comment

I went the diy motorized route. I bought a Pelican Catch 110. I put a used Minn Kota 40lb trolling motor on the rear that I steer with the foot pedals. I moved the speed control next to the seat. I've owned kayaks for 20 something years and it's by far the best I've had. I have less that $1,000 in it. And that includes a Lithium battery, 12V 50amh, that weighs 14 pounds Click image for larger version  Name:	83.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	26756313 Click image for larger version  Name:	82.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	26756314
        Last edited by kevin nicholls; 03-29-2024, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I had an old town big water! Great kayak. You could pull the pedal prop out of the way when you wanted. Took it offshore a number of times and it was a great big water boat. Seat sat a little high but other than that it was solid. If they made that seat where it would adjust up and down it would have been a game changer and took that yak to another level. Imho

Comment

Another vote for the Old Town
            I have the Sportsman 120

Comment

Originally posted by killerbee View Post
              I had an old town big water! Great kayak. You could pull the pedal prop out of the way when you wanted. Took it offshore a number of times and it was a great big water boat. Seat sat a little high but other than that it was solid. If they made that seat where it would adjust up and down it would have been a game changer and took that yak to another level. Imho
              Amen to that, it should totally have an adjustable seat height

Comment

I've had multiple kayaks through the years.

If I was to buy one today, it'd be a Kaku. But, Native, Old Town, Hobie all make good kayaks that I've owned previously. (I'm sure the other brands are good, just no personal experience with them)

Comment

Might check out these, they are like the electric bikes. Power assist.
                  NEW SPORTSMAN BIGWATER EPDL+ 132

Comment

I've had a Hobie pedal drive for about 5 years, love it, very stable but needs a little more water to run in. That being said, I just bought a Kaku Zulu prop pedal drive and although I've not got it rigged the way I want, I think it's going to be the best of both worlds. Shallow draft, about same weight as Hobie, like the Kaku front end better for rougher water. Only drawback I see is storage is better on Hobie. Go pedal drive and you'll never go back to paddling. Don't forget the micro power pole addition, best thing since sliced bread.

Comment

Working...
                    X