Buying From Carmax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying From Carmax

Anyone have a recent buying experience from Carmax? They have a truck that I am interested in but I have heard they they do not really inspect their vehicles and just put them out in the lot after washing them. Just looking for first hand buying experience.

The only experience I have with them was going to one with my brother in law when he went to buy a car for his daughter. The car looked nice and seemed mechanical sound but the tires were practically bald. He was able to get them to put new tires on but they would have been more than happy to sell him that car with those bald tires if I hadn’t said something.

Comment

Best car buying experience in my life was from carmax.

Comment

I really think with the current market, most dealers could care less about the mechanical condition of used cars. I bought a used tacoma from autonation that immediately ended up getting a rear main seal, which i admit i didn't catch beforehand. I also believe they doctored the carfax they showed me, so pull your own! Went to trade up recently and 2 dealerships told me the truck showed severe front and rear damage which was not on what autonation provided. At one of those dealerships, the truck i was interested in had tires that wouldn't pass inspection and they wouldn't even talk about replacing them unless i bought them.

Comment

I would most definitely take it and have it gone over.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            Same, and the same when it comes to selling to them as well.

Comment

I’ve bought 4 vehicles from Carmax over the years. Maybe I got lucky because they were all fairly low mileage but i have not had maintenance surprises with any of them

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                It’s like playing Roulette.

Comment

Have never bought from carmax. I sold them a 2000 F250 for more than I could get from anyone else in 2004.
                  Tried selling them a 2004 Dodge 1 ton in 2016 because of the first experience. They offered $7,500. I ended up selling that truck outright for $21,500 shortly after…
                  They lost my respect after that.

Comment

Bought my Tacoma from them and although I drove it, didn’t get out on the highway and didn’t brake hard until I was on the way home and discovered that the front rotors were a bit warped. Called them, took it in the next day and it was fixed in less than 3 hours.

Would I buy from them again? Absolutely without a doubt.

Comment

They give a 7 day period to test the vehicle. If you don’t like it you can return. I would have no issues buying from them

Comment

We had a vehicle shipped from a dealership several states away for a couple hundred bucks. When it showed up we still weren’t required to buy it if we didn’t want to. Everything was smooth. There’s just no haggling over the price.

Comment

Wasn't terrible. Price is what it is so there is none of the car games you have to play. Refinanced it couple months later for a better interest rate. Car ended up having to have the motor replaced by Ford so not blaming Carmax for it. It is a know issue with the Ecoboost.

Comment

I’ve done multiple deals with Texas Direct Auto with great luck. Haven’t used them since they became Vroom. I always go to CarMax for their offer as well.

Comment

You can drive the car for a day IIRC. Take it for the day, drive it to your mechanic, and pay the $300 for a tech to spend two hours looking over the vehicle. Or, research the common problems with the vehicle and do it yourself.

I wouldn't trust any dealer to "inspect" a car these days. Their inspection is "does it pass emissions?" That is about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X