Why I Stopped Looking For a Deer Lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
    typical rinse and repeat article from meateater/BHA crowd... no need for a lease, just hunt public its way better. Then they'll have their corporate hunt at the yeti ranch
    I agree, as much as Rinella likes to bad mouth Texas, he sure can't keep himself away, can he?

Comment

Public and private are completely different activities. Private, at least how we hunted it for 40 some odd years, you had your spot and you developed it. Only moving when someone left or another opportunity opened up. There wasn't a lot of room for roaming as you didn't want to spoil someone's location. Public, you can scout all you want but the plan goes out the window about 30 minutes before opening morning. Cameras help but you suffer about a 40% attrition rate. That's not counting everyone who stops to look at your cameras but leaves them there. But you can scout areas to your hearts content.

Since I'm more into scouting now, I choose to hunt public and spend my lease money on a couple out of state trips each year. Here's the big unknown in public hunting: how long before the urban crowd locks down on hunting public land. It's already happening in Washington state and California. It's heading that way in Colorado. My fear is our public land won't be so public for us in 20 years. The ability for the federal government to decide winners and losers on public land worries me for the future.

Comment

Even if you have to eat beans & rice and walk to work to be able to afford your own land, the freedom of not having some puta tell you what to do is worth every bit of the sacrifice !

Comment

I am thankful to have been in the “sportsman” stage most of my life, it creates so much less stress. 🤣😂🤣😂

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5561.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	26753126

Comment

And for you youngins, If your woman isn’t attracted to Campfire Smoke, Whiskey, Camp meal, Swimmin Holes, and Pickup Trucks, kick her to the curb !

Comment

typical rinse and repeat article from meateater/BHA crowd... no need for a lease, just hunt public its way better. Then they'll have their corporate hunt at the yeti ranch
              Yup

Comment

As a solo hunter, for me, hunting public land is best when I get to know other experienced and cooperative public land hunters where I hunt. You can share info and techniques, help each other with tracking and deer recovery, share spots and trade out reservations. Some hunters have been hunting there for decades, and they know more than you do. Most public land hunters I have met are friendly, but there are exceptions.

Comment

His opinion is just one man’s opinion and that’s all. Take it for what it’s worth.
                  I’ll chose to hunt private as long as I can afford it.
                  Texas has some great public hunting opportunities, with some trophy bucks, but I’ve heard way too many bad stories that keep me from just jump right into that chit show.
                  It would be awesome without having to deal with the human element of public land. The vandalism and theft alone would put me over the edge.
                  Nothing sounds fun about getting your truck tires slashed and windows knocked out, while you are hunting, by the locals, who take offense to someone being on “their turf”..

Comment

Hunted leases since I was a young kid with my dad - now age 70 and am on the best lease anywhere IMO - owned my own ranch for 5 years and loved it but I have made so many awesome friends by hunting with them on a lease - would not change a thing

Comment

I recently got on a lease I wasn’t looking for. Didn’t plan on it. Good place with fire ring and outhouse. Rules ain’t crazy and it’s more about going than killing for me- gives me a place just go enjoy without any of the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post

I agree, as much as Rinella likes to bad mouth Texas, he sure can't keep himself away, can he?
                        Yup, and I love Rinella’s books but can’t stand the bashing on Texas leases then he spends a good amount of time down here hunting his friends private ranches

Comment

Unless a really good deal drops in my lap, I'm pretty much done with hunting, whether it's on a lease or public.
                          Maybe I'll do an outfitted hunt or two along the way, but I'm old enough now, that it's just not worth the hassle/issues that invariably come with being on a lease, and I have zero interest in hunting public land.

Comment

Yup, and I love Rinella’s books but can’t stand the bashing on Texas leases then he spends a good amount of time down here hunting his friends private ranches
                            I am the first to admit that I love his show, but his hypocrisy is glaring

Comment

I would have to agree with the article. I leased land over 30 years. The cost of the lease and equipment and maintaining feeders, stands and equipment got to be more than my budget could handle. I take out of state hunts twice a year and it satisfy my being.

Comment

I have 6.5 acres with great neighbors(no HOA) and a feeder in a safe place. Killed the best bucks in my life last year. Its how you play your hand.
                                Be a cowboy expect cowboy stuff,.be a gentleman...well you can finish the rest.

Comment

Working...
                                X