Renting Big Equipment from HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting Big Equipment from HD

Has anybody every rented big stuff from HD like Skid Steers, Stump Grinder, Tractor, etc.? I've got some work I want to do on 1+ acre lot wife and I purchased a new home at in Kempner. I've got some rocks to move to create some landscape borders, rings around trees, level out some stuff they pushed to the back of the property, remove a few stumps that I know would create an issue for riding mower, etc.

Experiences?

We rented a skid steer from them for a couple days without any issues. We purchased the insurance to go with it since we didn't know what kind of condition it was in, but did not have to use it.

Comment

Make sure your vehicle is capable of pulling the equipment! That is one of their criteria for pick up. My HD does not have that much big equipment but they do have the small skidsteer and minix plus other equipment. What size skidsteer are you looking at? I rented a 14ft A frame ladder yesterday from them to change the bulbs in our entry way light! no problems.

Comment

I have not rented heavy equipment from them but I have rented several things from them that I did not own. My experience has been there guys are not as thorough on making sure everything is working 100% (as it should) because it was not checked on return. I have had this at other rental places but not as frequent. Point being I would absolutely make sure everything was working 100% before I or they drove off.

Comment

I've rented a lot of the smaller stuff like jack hammers and stuff.. but never big stuff. It was kind of appealing as they said they will delivery it to the site, so I would not have to worry about getting a trailer, etc. Would prefer one of the smaller mini skids if they have one that you stand on as I think it will manuever around better to do what I want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
            I have not rented heavy equipment from them but I have rented several things from them that I did not own. My experience has been there guys are not as thorough on making sure everything is working 100% (as it should) because it was not checked on return. I have had this at other rental places but not as frequent. Point being I would absolutely make sure everything was working 100% before I or they drove off.
            This for sure. Some of this equipment may also have some strange kill switch that must be off to operate and can cause lots of frustration. Make sure you get a basic instruction before leaving.

Comment

My brother lives there too, he has a buddy that might do work with his skidsteer etc pm me if interested i'll get you in touch with him

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                My brother lives there too, he has a buddy that might do work with his skidsteer etc pm me if interested i'll get you in touch with him
                Thanks man.. will do. I'm still in the process of exiting house in DFW, so it may be a couple of months before I am down there FT. Wife is down there already and asking me when this is going to get done.

Comment

I rented a stump grinder from them. They started it for me to show me it was running. I fought the machine for a couple of hours and called them to ask for help. They told me to bring it in and they would try to service the machine. Turns out the ground wire was losing connection and the teeth were very dull. They fixed it up so that I could finish the job. The guy was a complete jerk about having it back by the original agreement time listed. I tried to finish the job and had more grounding issues. I brought it back to HD and asked for my money back. The guy was a complete jerk again. He was saying that since I left the store with it that I was required to pay. I allowed him to make a fool of himself, called the store manager, pulled out the signed agreement and pointed to Home on the list. It says that HD will provide the equipment working and well maintained. I told the store manager that they didn't hold up their end of the contract with dull teeth and grounding issues that was shutting down the machine.

A full refund was provided.

The good, it didn't cost me. The bad, I wasted a day trying to get their crap to work.

As mentioned above, I don't think they maintain their equipment with the same level of attention as other "traditional" rental companies.

Comment

If the price is right, I would. I would also look for a smaller local equipment rental place that might be just as cheap with better service.

Comment

I try not to do any business with HD that I can reasonably do elsewhere. I’m also a fan of small independent rental places, and have rented trenchers, jackhammers, etc that way.

Comment

I would not rent that type of equipment from anyone who had rental equipment as anything other than their primary business

Too much risk of wasting your time (see post # 9)

Comment

Working...
                        X