Medicare Advantage plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare Advantage plans

I have posted here before about folks being aware of what they are getting when they select a Medicare Advantage plan over the Medicare supplement plans - see the article below

Medicare Advantage chaos is making life more difficult for hospitals, insurers — and seniors (yahoo.com)

All advantage plans are bad. Run run away...

Comment

I'm in kind of a difficult situation as to, I paid into an insurance reimbursement account with the company I retired from. I have a mid 5 figure balance which the balance after I pass will be passed on to my heirs. The catch is, I can only use it with the insurance company the company uses, which is Aetna. I am using the advantage plan this year. it is cheaper than their regular insurance and so far, I have not had much problem with doctors. The only problem I nave is that the UTMB system and Aetna have been having problems lately and I cannot use their facilities, which includes one of the hospitals in the area.. And that is not just for the advantage plan.

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
        I'm in kind of a difficult situation as to, I paid into an insurance reimbursement account with the company I retired from. I have a mid 5 figure balance which the balance after I pass will be passed on to my heirs. The catch is, I can only use it with the insurance company the company uses, which is Aetna. I am using the advantage plan this year. it is cheaper than their regular insurance and so far, I have not had much problem with doctors. The only problem I nave is that the UTMB system and Aetna have been having problems lately and I cannot use their facilities, which includes one of the hospitals in the area.. And that is not just for the advantage plan.
        Sounds like Aetna and UTMB are negotiating over fees. Pretty common. Insurance company trys to keep their fees in line and of course the doctors / hospitals want them higher. Usually they are able to work it out

Comment

I have an advantage plan thru ERS(state retirement). No cost and seems to be just fine for me.

Comment

Wife and i got really lucky when we retired. We have Medicare A & B, but were able to get Plan F supplemental. It is not offered anymore due to the fact the Gov said it paid to much to people under this plan. Fortunatley since 2020, we have been grandfathered into this plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Wife and i got really lucky when we retired. We have Medicare A & B, but were able to get Plan F supplemental. It is not offered anymore due to the fact the Gov said it paid to much to people under this plan. Fortunatley since 2020, we have been grandfathered into this plan.
              Same with my wife and me - Plan F is the best by far - nowdays Plan G is available and very similar to the old Plan F

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post

I am in the same boat.

My problem is that my wife is 7 years from Medicare so her insurance has to come from the open market. Part of my retirement option was for her to have coverage from BC/BS for $500 a month total. I pay $150 for BC/BS Advantage.

My doctor said that BC/BS is great for him to work with but Advantage sucks and asked me to explore other options. Okay, but…..

If I drop Advantage as the retired employee, my city retirement no longer covers my wife. So at 58 years of age, I would have to find a comparable major medical/dental/pharmaceutical plan for $500 or less and then find me a plan for $150 or less.

Even my doctor said that he agreed that I am stuck and not going to find my wife and my combined medical/dental/pharmaceutical coverage for $650 a month which is what I pay for our health insurance.

Comment

I won’t go with an advantage plan because I would be limited to network doctors and if I wanted to go back to a supplemental I could be rejected and not allow to.
                  No thanks.

Comment

It's all about hitting you kids for 30 to 60K from your estate. Nothing is for free.
                    Trips to the doctor, groceries, they will not issue a plan for anyone living in an apartment.
                    Don't do it...

Comment

Think it depends on where (which County) you live in. I'm on year 2 of medicare advantage and never had better coverage through a work career of fortune 100 companies. All coverage has been outstanding, including routine visits for dental and vision, root canals, major shoulder surgery, ER visits, annual checkups etc. All said, buyer beware and make sure your coverage for where you live and for your situation works for you.

Comment

Alecia had a advantage plan with Humana. I don't remember her ever paying for anything. No co-pays, prescriptions.....nothing. Even when she went to the ER and spent two weeks in ICU, when she passed there was a zero balance.

Comment

Working...
                        X