Clear All

Laporte Tx job posting for LEO

Just Passing along information.
    Attached Files

God Bless Em

Comment

I dont think there is a PD in the country that isnt hiring

Comment

I had to stand in line to get an application. Hired 64 and had over 1000 test. Same department today is having a hard time fill a class. Hope something in society changes

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          I had to stand in line to get an application. Hired 64 and had over 1000 test. Same department today is having a hard time fill a class. Hope something in society changes
          I hope so to. But its not. IMO its gonna get worse before it gets better.

It was almost a year from the time I dropped my app till I got hired. At that time they didnt even like the thought of smoking weed. Now it dont seem to matter

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
            Just Passing along information.
            Great agency to work for. I’ve been here 13 years after leaving another local agency and don’t regret it one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

I hope so to. But its not. IMO its gonna get worse before it gets better.

It was almost a year from the time I dropped my app till I got hired. At that time they didnt even like the thought of smoking weed. Now it dont seem to matter
              Just using your posts for the discussion…

Worse is an understatement.

Like Glen, my mid sized agency had 6 openings (8 by the time the next academy started 3 months later) and about 200 people tested for those 6 openings.

Now we have about 15 openings and only 20 people test. The background check usually cancels 1/3 to 1/2 so before the real process starts, they are down to 10 or less…. for those 15 slots.

That’s with way lower standards and we still cannot fill the openings. When I hired on we had to go to the academy. It is virtually impossible for any size agency, other than a tiny one, to send enough people to the academy and keep up. That’s why most agencies like La Porte are begging for certified officers, especially those with experience.

In my city a person with no job experience and no high school diploma can come in at 21 years old, have immediate health insurance completely paid, base salary of about $66k (with overtime about $80k the first year), 5 weeks vacation, 3 weeks sick that can never be taken away and almost $4,000 a year bonus for living in the city with a take home car. Most officers by the third year or earlier are making $100k+.

Come in with at least two years experience from at least a similar sized agency with an advanced peace officer license and move into the city, the starting pay is about $75k. I think they still offer up to $4,000 in moving expenses.

I am sure that the larger cities pay more and we aren’t the highest paid in our county. I don’t think there are many jobs that only require a GED with no job experience that offers those starting salaries and benefits… and we can’t be for enough applicants.

Comment

Anyone that is interested Austin is hiring anyone with a pulse. GED is required. I know rookies make in the 70s. Get opportunity for all the overtime you want working patrol for double time pay. They are hurting so bad a Sgt can sign up for patrolman overtime and they are paying them $170 an hour. I know plenty of folks there turning $300k now. I’m not sure but think all you gotta do is pass a **** test. I know they are hiring people that have done about every drug out there and people that have a hot screen can take another test in a couple weeks

glad I’m gone
                Last edited by glen; 03-25-2024, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

Just using your posts for the discussion…

Worse is an understatement.

Like Glen, my mid sized agency had 6 openings (8 by the time the next academy started 3 months later) and about 200 people tested for those 6 openings.

Now we have about 15 openings and only 20 people test. The background check usually cancels 1/3 to 1/2 so before the real process starts, they are down to 10 or less…. for those 15 slots.

That’s with way lower standards and we still cannot fill the openings. When I hired on we had to go to the academy. It is virtually impossible for any size agency, other than a tiny one, to send enough people to the academy and keep up. That’s why most agencies like La Porte are begging for certified officers, especially those with experience.

In my city a person with no job experience and no high school diploma can come in at 21 years old, have immediate health insurance completely paid, base salary of about $66k (with overtime about $80k the first year), 5 weeks vacation, 3 weeks sick that can never be taken away and almost $4,000 a year bonus for living in the city with a take home car. Most officers by the third year or earlier are making $100k+.

Come in with at least two years experience from at least a similar sized agency with an advanced peace officer license and move into the city, the starting pay is about $75k. I think they still offer up to $4,000 in moving expenses.

I am sure that the larger cities pay more and we aren’t the highest paid in our county. I don’t think there are many jobs that only require a GED with no job experience that offers those starting salaries and benefits… and we can’t be for enough applicants.
                  The frustrating part with me is those new boots will make more money than me with 24 years experience at one of the largest departments in the country. That's also why we're training guys to leave for smaller agencies cause more money and less work.

Who can blame em?

Comment

Always look at the whole pay scale. Made that mistake at my first agency, starting pay looked good but the step plan was lacking and topped out under $75k. After three years I got on with another agency 30 miles down the road and the scale tops out at over $100k for a slick sleeve patrol officer. Also have to look at the community where you will be policing, there is no amount of money you could pay me to be a cop in Austin.

Comment

Working...
                    X