Takin' 'em to the train station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
    Your trap looks similar to mine. I had to run 9 gauge wire thru the bottom hog panel being use for my door. This was zig-zagged thru the bottom squares of the door panel and secured at each point tied to an t-post. This does not stop the panel door from closing. I also ran a chain from a T-post the top outside corner of the door panel. This all keeps them from lifting the panel door. None have gotten out since doing this. They may bent it up some but they don’t get out. Good luck!
    Do you have a pic of this? I'm having trouble visualizing your description. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
      It’s hard to see why you’re having this problem from these pictures . If they’re pushing the gate out you have too much gate for the chute. You need no more than 8 feet beyond the last post to create the funnel but it needs to overlap well beyond the entrance so they can’t push it out. In soft dirt if they are digging under it ( and they will) before you get there take a front end loader and put at least a foot of dirt all the way around the outside so they can’t get under the panel. I hope this makes sense. I’ve only had 1 hog ever turn my gate inside out but he was over 300 lbs.
      I had the chute too wide the first day, and that's when they pushed the gate inside-out. Last night the biggest boar lifted the gate up just enough to squeeze under. Looking at it today, I saw where he broke the wire that I had tied on the bottom corner of the gate panel, and he bent the t-post over some too. Also, the gate panel is a 16' panel, and I only had it tied to one t-post at the end. I need to add another post in the middle of it. That would tie it down better where they couldn't lift it up, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Clayton View Post
        can someone post an explanation or a picture of how this type of trap works and how you would make one? would love to put one on our place in Real Co
        They basically work kinda like a minnow trap. One end of a panel isn't attached to anything, so they can push in to the pen. Then they (hopefully) can't get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          I finally got a hog trap set up at my home place. First night, I had the gate set too wide. Trapped a bunch, but they bent the gate backwards at sunup and got out before I could get out to kill 'em. So I reset it with a narrow chute into the gate. Next night they milled around outside the trap all night, but never went in. Third night 3 sows ate all the corn in the chute outside the gate before they went in. Several others milled around outside the trap all night but never went in. Killed the 3 early that next morning. Let it sit for a day (yesterday), and then baited it again this afternoon. Got pics of 7 in the trap before I went to bed, so I loaded up and went out to kill 'em before they got out. Three of them busted out when they all started going crazy as I idled up on my tractor. I got the other 4 killed without letting them bust out. I have some ideas on how to beef it up after watching them try to destroy it tonight. I'm having fun trying to outsmart and take every hog on the place to the train station. Trailcam got some action shots.
          That's awesome!

Comment

One of the few things I miss leaving Cali 5 years ago is killing pigs.
            Living in Montana now, and seeing those pictures- y'all don't send them north!

Comment

Working...
            X