Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alligator gar recipes

How do you like to cook gar? School me.

Obviously fried but besides that. Anyone have any ways to cook in like a jambalaya or some other sauce?
    I was thinking about tenderizing some and frying like chicken fried steak.

Just looking for ideas. Thanks

I did try frying some and it was pretty tough but I liked it. Trying to make it better so the wife eats more.
    Last edited by RiverRat1; 03-21-2024, 07:12 PM.

I do like a normal fried gar balls recipe with potatoes and veggies but don't grind it. Dice it up real small. Better texture and easier. Wife loves it.

Any time I had gar balls browned in a gravy, it's been pretty fishy.
    Last edited by toledo; 03-21-2024, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Wrap in butcher paper and beat the heck out of it. Then strip the meat off the tendons, make patties and fry. You can also add sausage seasoning. It's decent like that but it still ain't crappie.

Comment

Simmer in crab boil
        cool and shred into pieces
        make fish cakes

Comment

Not trying to be a smart guy but has anyone ate Grennell? Just curious you would think meat would be the same

Comment

Boil in crab boil till tender then drain. Mix with potatoes egg,green onion,creole seasoning etc then fry into patties. Grennel? The first courtbullion I ever remember eating was made from a Choupique and it wasnt bad.

Comment

Originally posted by esoct25 View Post
              Not trying to be a smart guy but has anyone ate Grennell? Just curious you would think meat would be the same
              Gar is much better. But, choupique is good if you bleed it, make patties with the meat, and fry it fresh. We used to catch them and cook them on the bank with a coleman gas stove in a cast iron skillet.

Anyone that thinks alligator gar is not a great eating fish has not had it cooked properly. It is definitely in my top 4. Gar balls smothered in a dark brown gravy served over white rice with good seasoning is hard to beat.

Comment

Garfish (Clean*Cook) Cajun Made Gar Balls/Boulettes (youtube.com)

Crank up the volume on this one ​

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Wrap in butcher paper and beat the heck out of it. Then strip the meat off the tendons, make patties and fry. You can also add sausage seasoning. It's decent like that but it still ain't crappie.
                  now you know sam says there aint no finer eating!

Comment

Just cut in thin pieces and fry like regular fish. Mustard base and Cajun batter… good good.

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post

now you know sam says there aint no finer eating!
                      It's certainly edible. Maybe even good if done right. It still ain't crappie and this is direct from the GAR GUY.

Comment

We used to gig spotted gar when we floundered and ate them all the time. Fried them just like any other fish and they were great! I've never tried to eat a big gar, though.

Comment

Originally posted by esoct25 View Post
                          I’ve never tried it but their meat is pretty and white.
                          it’s probably very good. Who knows.

Comment

The best I’ve had is in crab boil, but I’ve also fried it and made gar balls. But as GarGuy said, it ain’t crappie. Or bass or catfish.

Comment

Like others have said, boil it in crab boil, and make some gar patties out of it like you would with salmon, or crab. But first put the gar meat in cheese cloth because it wants to fall apart, and this helps get it out of the pot without picking up small pieces.

Comment

Working...
                              X