What a night chasing hogs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post

Awesome. The Hyde is next on my list for pig arrow tinkering. I'll probably grab some Furies too just to run through a deer or two. These heads are intriguing
    I've killed a few pigs with them. My takeaway is... they may be my new go to. I highly recommend you go with the 125gr or up, that gets you a hardened steel ferrule, and its durability is great. That was my ONLY complaint about the Shwacker 261s, 3 heads lasted 4 pigs, because the ferrule bent a lot of the time. These seem to have a similar outcome, but much more robust. I think when it comes to mechs on big pigs there are two criteria that stand out 1) the mech blades cutting on the way in not blunt force opening them, 2) curved main blades.

for #1, the Hyde portion of the mech blade that hits the animal is sharpened, so the entrance is actually a 1" 4 blade hole, I think this prevents some energy loss as the broadhead makes initial contact. The Shwacker does this by the small winglets (which are sharpened) not deploying the mains until after getting past the skin. The result is similar. The opposite is a GR or Spitfire where a blunt surface is used to push a retaining system out of the way to deploy the broadhead.

and #2, I've shot Rages, GR, etc, and the mechs with curved blades just plain penetrate better than their straight blade brethren.

P.S. Plan on disassembling and sharpening them out of the box. The fixed blades are often rolled edges, and mech blades often burrs in my experience. I put them in my StaySharp IW jig and spend some time on them. They will get shaving sharp, and hold a decent edge, mine didn't come that way though.

Comment

congrats

Comment

What a fantastic hunt. Congratulations.

Comment

Great story man! Congrats on a toad!

Comment

good job

Comment

Working...
            X