Need some advice on Refurbishing Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice on Refurbishing Rims

My Rims on my 06 Tundra are pretty done for as you can see. I picked up a set of 4 rims and want to Refinish them to OEM stock Silver. My question: Should I remove all the current paint. Then primer them and repaint. Just paint over the existing color. Anyone ever had experience with having them ceramic coated. Thank you
    Attached Files

In for answers on this. My truck wheels are doing the same thing.

Comment

I would use some aircraft pain remover to strip the old paint. Then use some good auto grade primer and paint. Shouldn't be too bad.

Then again, I am not a pro. Should have some better answers soon. Haha

J
      Last edited by JhuntsAlot; 03-20-2024, 11:12 AM.

Comment

My wife had beat up wheels on her SUV and we took them to a wheel repair shop. The next day they looked brand new. They can fix all the curb rash and powder coat your wheels however you want...and it's not too expensive either. A quick search of wheel repair shops in the League City area comes back with a few options...here's one w/good reviews. Wheel Repair, Bent Wheel, Cracked Wheel, Powder Coating Wheels (rimrepairhoustontx.com)

Comment

Great on the Wheel repair. I was thinking of getting a small sandblaster from Harbor Freight and use some Walnut media to remove the paint. But I will check into the wheel repair.

Comment

Originally posted by ohuett View Post
            My wife had beat up wheels on her SUV and we took them to a wheel repair shop. The next day they looked brand new. They can fix all the curb rash and powder coat your wheels however you want...and it's not too expensive either. A quick search of wheel repair shops in the League City area comes back with a few options...here's one w/good reviews. Wheel Repair, Bent Wheel, Cracked Wheel, Powder Coating Wheels (rimrepairhoustontx.com)
            What is considered 'not too expensive'? What were you able to get yours cleaned up for?

Comment

They probably go up some this close after the holiday.

Comment

We paid $100/wheel. They were all curb-rashed and whatever coating they had on them was flaking off. They look like they're brand new now. I'm not sure if I paid too much or not...I just know that my wife was happy when they were done. And if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
                  They probably go up some this close after the holiday.
                  This made me laugh way too hard.

Comment

Rim repair shops are a big deal these days. Insurance companies are pushing repair over replace.
                    I took a turn too fast and blew out a tire and bent the rim. They came to the house and pulled the tire and rim and totally repaired it and brought it back and installed it on my car. I think the labor was $125.00. Call your local body shop and ask who they use...

Comment

Working...
                    X