Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

South Padre Island Beach Camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Padre Island Beach Camping?

I want to do some camping on the beach south padre island on memorial day weekend (the actual SPI, not the padre island national seashore north of the mansfield cut). I've been to SPI but never camped on the beach which is something I've always wanted to do. Idea is to spend the weekend fishing, surfing, and chillaxing. I'll probably get a hotel on the last day to take a real shower and get some good dinner in town.

Planning to hit the Special beach access and go north along the beach until we get away from the crowds (I have a 4wd truck). Memorial day weekend will be close to a full moon with 1.8 foot high tides. Will I be able to setup camp and stay dry between the dunes and high water line with those tides?

I've heard about the big rattlesnakes in the dunes. i know I'll need to bring lots of water, sunscreen, and shade. Anything else I need to be considering?

TIA yall.

Lots of baby powder to dust down with at night, even if you think you rinsed all the sand off you it will find its way back!

Comment

Sand flea repellent

Comment

Personal Protection, extra fuel, tool kit, shovel, first aid kit, fix a flat and patch kit and when you think you have enough water bring more.

Comment

South Padre Island is a town that dies not allow vehicles on the beach. North of town can be kinda shady especially on that weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
            South Padre Island is a town that dies not allow vehicles on the beach. North of town can be kinda shady especially on that weekend.
            Just crowded or sketchy people you wouldnt want to have around at night?

Comment

Sketchy people there from what I hear.

You would be better off camping on PINS. 70 miles of beach to camp on. Just drive down to where you find a good spot away from others and setup camp. We did that several years ago in August (DON'T DO THAT!). Driving on the "wet" beach is smoother and easy on the gas mileage but I recommend airing down your tires for when you need to drive in the soft sand. It will make a huge difference in smoothness and traction. We camped about 35 miles in and brought extra gas. We didn't need it but did give it to someone else that was driving by and was very low on gas.

Also, driving or camping in the dunes is not allowed and they DO drive by.

Comment

If your that close why not PINs

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
                  If your that close why not PINs
                  They may be close on the map, but they are not close in a truck.

Comment

Beach camping is best on PINS. SPI is better for fancy city beach.

Comment

It’s fairly sketchy area lots of traffickers and pachukos from the valley, probably better on a holiday weekend
                      take protection, air pump, extra water, ice , gas shovel tow rope , when I lived in port Mansfield north jetty was cool, south was more riff raff

Comment

Originally posted by BearkatJeep View Post
                        Sketchy people there from what I hear.

You would be better off camping on PINS. 70 miles of beach to camp on. Just drive down to where you find a good spot away from others and setup camp. We did that several years ago in August (DON'T DO THAT!). Driving on the "wet" beach is smoother and easy on the gas mileage but I recommend airing down your tires for when you need to drive in the soft sand. It will make a huge difference in smoothness and traction. We camped about 35 miles in and brought extra gas. We didn't need it but did give it to someone else that was driving by and was very low on gas.

Also, driving or camping in the dunes is not allowed and they DO drive by.
                        we camp a few times a year on PINS. Not ever seen rattlesnakes but seen lots of deer and coyotes

Comment

Originally posted by LeverBow View Post
                          Lots of baby powder to dust down with at night, even if you think you rinsed all the sand off you it will find its way back!
                          Then you really will be dirty, Kev.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post

we camp a few times a year on PINS. Not ever seen rattlesnakes but seen lots of deer and coyotes
                            Seen them many times when I lived down there for 10 years. Some bigs ones as well. Not many venture off into the dunes though.

Beach camping is MISERABLE. Sand, sunblock lotion, and salt residue in every crease of your body.

Comment

Take baby wipes

Comment

Working...
                              X