Best tree stump killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best tree stump killer

I’ve cut down 3 cluster oaks to 6” below the yard surface. My plan is to eventually fill this hole and sod it. What tree stump killer works the best and the quickest? I would like to cover this up and put down sod ASAP. Thanks
    Last edited by Dr. Evil; 03-19-2024, 10:40 AM.

Magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) itll pull all the moisture out of the oaks. Cover with dirt and sod, it will provide magnesium to the turf.
    Using epsom salt will also keep chemicals out of the water table and keep from you from accidentally killing something else.
    Last edited by Calrob; 03-19-2024, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Tordon

Comment

Drill several 1/2" or 1" holes in the stumps maybe 1-2" deep and fill with one of the stump/brush killers.

Comment

I’m in a similar situation. We had to get 3 big ash trees removed and the people I hired did a poor job removing the stumps. I’m also wanting to cover the area with sod

For those recommending liquid agents - how far should this be from other live trees? I still have one massive red oak standing that I dont want to harm. It’s probably 15’ away from the dead stumps

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post
            I’m in a similar situation. We had to get 3 big ash trees removed and the people I hired did a poor job removing the stumps. I’m also wanting to cover the area with sod

For those recommending liquid agents - how far should this be from other live trees? I still have one massive red oak standing that I dont want to harm. It’s probably 15’ away from the dead stumps
            I’ll preface this with “I am an Arborist”. Do not put “Stump/Brush” killer within 20’ of the drip line of any tree. If y’all want to remove a stump, do it mechanically and much much cheaper by contracting with a stump grinder who can grind the stump out completely.

Comment

Pile up some mesquite on the stump an have a campfire will burn a hole in the ground an burn the roots

Comment

I’ve cut a 55 gal drum in half and set it over the stump. Started a hardwood fire and kept it burning for 4-6 hours. Mesquite coals will burn down most any other stump except for hackberry in my experience. The coals get it down to the dirt line on the oaks I’ve burnt out

Comment

Sackett - suggestions on Honey Locust removal?

Comment

Good chainsaw, shovel, 2 floor Jack's, 2 bottle Jack's, chain, and a come along. Got a couple large tree trunk out with these tools.

Comment

Clearly missed the stump killer part. I'll move on.

Comment

Originally posted by skulleton View Post
                        Clearly missed the stump killer part. I'll move on.
                        I noticed, lol. I have a Danuser tree/stump remover for my skidsteer and it works great.

Comment

I’ve drilled holes in smaller stumps and they will usually fall apart the next year. 12” stumps or smaller. Any thing bigger I burn them up.

Comment

For about $125 go rent a stump grinder and you can have the stump gone and sod on the ground by this wknd.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                              Sackett - suggestions on Honey Locust removal?
                              There is no solution for them....I'm about to start a war on a whole new property and they are everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X