Another blast from the past.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another blast from the past.

Was cleaning out my "junk" drawer and came across this calculator. I hired on with TI in 1976 in the semiconductor machine shop. In 1981 I transfered to the mold and die shop. I worked on molds for several TI products. Calculators, watches, etc.. I did the case mold for this calculator in 1988 and it went on sale at Walmart in 1989. It was only on the market for 2 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TI-7000.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	26748387

Attached Files

That is pretty cool.

Comment

It's always neat finding things of old that you had a critical roll in implementing. Fun part about machining!

Comment

Some one wants it. Neat find...

Comment

The basic 4 function hand held calculator had been around for a few years but in about 1972 a high school classmate brought in a TI SR-10 that belonged to his dad who was an engineer. It was the first "Slide Rule" calculator that featured square root and exponential functions. It cost $150 (over $1,000 in today's dollars). I remember our math teacher ranting about how the widespread use of calculators would be the ruination of kids learning math skills

Comment

Somewhere ( I think at my sisters house ) I have prototype calculator that never went on the market. Only 10 were made.

Comment

Cool story...

Comment

Cool find!

Comment

Why didn't you just use your phone?

Comment

I still have my old TI 81. Still don't know how to use some of the features.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                      Was cleaning out my "junk" drawer and came across this calculator. I hired on with TI in 1976 in the semiconductor machine shop. In 1981 I transfered to the mold and die shop. I worked on molds for several TI products. Calculators, watches, etc.. I did the case mold for this calculator in 1988 and it went on sale at Walmart in 1989. It was only on the market for 2 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TI-7000.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	26748387
                      My Dad used to work for TI in Abilene. He was facilities manager. He was the last one fired from Timex, and then the first one hired by TI that took over the old Timex building. He then shut the facility down when TI closed it down.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        The basic 4 function hand held calculator had been around for a few years but in about 1972 a high school classmate brought in a TI SR-10 that belonged to his dad who was an engineer. It was the first "Slide Rule" calculator that featured square root and exponential functions. It cost $150 (over $1,000 in today's dollars). I remember our math teacher ranting about how the widespread use of calculators would be the ruination of kids learning math skills

😬 That teacher was right. For proof just give a kid $20.67 for a $16.67 transaction. It’ll take most of ‘em a couple of day to recover from that mind eff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Why didn't you just use your phone?
                          Let me check my pager. I didn't know you called.

Comment

Call? How would I call on my text message device?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X