Venice inland fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venice inland fishing

I'm going on a trip this summer for offshore and inland fishing. I'm thinking about getting a new rig for the inshore part of the trip and have been looking at the Toadfish brand today with the 3000 spinner. I currently have a 12 year old Bass Pro bait caster rode combo.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this brand? I know they are a made in the USA brand and donate the the oyster beds with every purchase which is nice.

I don't have a whole lot of knowledge for fishing gear, but if this trip goes well it will be an annual trip.

I have no experience with their rods and reels but I highly doubt they are made in the USA. There aren't many if any made in the USA reels anymore and if they were I would think it would be in bold print on their website and I didn't see it anywhere. That said, I caught a bunch of bull reds when I was down there up to 47" long on a flipping rod with a ABU Garcia revo with 50lb power pro and a chatterbait. I broke several chatterbaits on fish but the rod and reel held up fine. Didn't take anything special.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
      I'm going on a trip this summer for offshore and inland fishing. I'm thinking about getting a new rig for the inshore part of the trip and have been looking at the Toadfish brand today with the 3000 spinner. I currently have a 12 year old Bass Pro bait caster rode combo.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this brand? I know they are a made in the USA brand and donate the the oyster beds with every purchase which is nice.

I don't have a whole lot of knowledge for fishing gear, but if this trip goes well it will be an annual trip.
      Is this a guided trip? If so, you'd probably be good using the rods that the guide provides. Most often they have top notch gear rigged for the situation. I grew up just North of Venice in Belle Chasse and guided inshore out of Buras. I had a few folks out that had to bring their favorite fishing rod on the trip rather than use the gear provided. In many cases they spent more time screwing with their gear than they did fishing.

If this is a DIY trip, I hope there is someone aboard that knows the area. Venice can be very dangerous if you don't know where the channels and underwater obstructions are. I've seen a dozen or more boats wrecked on the rocks at the end of SW pass over the years and there's plenty of lower units buried in the sand in South pass. SeaTow makes a mint on the weekends out of Venice.

Comment

We have boated some big reds in those waters.. 7' MHF rods with Revo X spooled with 30lb braid. Nothing fancy..
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post

Is this a guided trip? If so, you'd probably be good using the rods that the guide provides. Most often they have top notch gear rigged for the situation. I grew up just North of Venice in Belle Chasse and guided inshore out of Buras. I had a few folks out that had to bring their favorite fishing rod on the trip rather than use the gear provided. In many cases they spent more time screwing with their gear than they did fishing.

If this is a DIY trip, I hope there is someone aboard that knows the area. Venice can be very dangerous if you don't know where the channels and underwater obstructions are. I've seen a dozen or more boats wrecked on the rocks at the end of SW pass over the years and there's plenty of lower units buried in the sand in South pass. SeaTow makes a mint on the weekends out of Venice.
          Yes, it is a guided trip. One of my buddies that goes there every year is taking his boat down. This is more for when we are out messing around on our own.

After doing more research on them last night, I think I'm going to go with a Penn spinner reel. Looking at the Spinfisher vii in the 3500.

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
            We have boated some big reds in those waters.. 7' MHF rods with Revo X spooled with 30lb braid. Nothing fancy..
            I'm looking at a similar setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post

Yes, it is a guided trip. One of my buddies that goes there every year is taking his boat down. This is more for when we are out messing around on our own.

After doing more research on them last night, I think I'm going to go with a Penn spinner reel. Looking at the Spinfisher vii in the 3500.
              Nice, A 6.6-7ft medium heavy rod with a 2500-4000 size spinning reel will work fine. I usually use 30-50lb braid with a 20lb flouro leader.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post

Nice, A 6.6-7ft medium heavy rod with a 2500-4000 size spinning reel will work fine. I usually use 30-50lb braid with a 20lb flouro leader.
                A 7' medium heavy fast is what I was thinking to pair with that 3500 and 30# braid. I may go up to 40#.

Comment

Working...
                X