Texas Hog Trap year 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Hog Trap year 6

Wow, I can't believe it has been 6 years since I built this and trapped my first pigs. This post is just to get it started and I will be adding lots of pictures and videos soon.

For a brief recap, incase you missed the build: https://www.texasbowhunter.com/discu...sized-hog-trap
    Round 2 - https://www.texasbowhunter.com/discu...g-trap-round-2
    Round 3 - https://www.texasbowhunter.com/discu...g-trap-round-3

I started to cover rounds 4 and 5, but there wasn't hardly any activity so I didn't post very many.

I have trapped over 200 pigs in this over the years. This year is starting off in a banner manner.

For this year, I added an electronic trigger but was also able to keep it manual for when I am sleeping or it is too foggy to see. I've learned about redundant systems this year and the manual system backing up the electronic wireless system was a great move on my part.

In January, we starting seeing lone boars and of course we shot them and then started trapping 2 or 3 in our small box traps. Some friends came in from the north country and had heard about this from mutual friends who participated in previous trappings. They wanted to run their dogs on small pigs. Ok. So we took off on the big trap. We cut off all feeders and only put corn and apple flavored powder that Pistol found. That stuff - Apple Craze? was the golden ticket this year. Hogs cannot resist it!

For our friends, I had a sounder coming in on the Sunday before their arrival and it was everything I could do to keep from dropping that gate. I had hopes the piggies would still be coming in. They skipped the next 2 days, but on the date of our friend's arrival, the pigs returned and I called the system, dropping the gate.

I'll have to go get the pictures, but we trapped 6 pigs.

February 26, we trapped a slew of them, but before we could shoot, a massive black hog found an armadillo tunnel and quickly turned it into a hog tunnel. Most pigs escaped but we did shoot 1 and caught 4 baby piglets. The neighbors still have them and are feeding them out.

I tried to trap 2 more sounders but the battery was dead on my wireless system and I did not put corn at the trigger for the manual system. (Did I mention I learned about redundancy?)

March 10 - trapped 16 pigs. (Video later.)

March 16 - trapped 13 pigs (yes, I have video and pics).

We are up to 40 pigs this year.

I'll upload pics and video tonight.

Been pretty cool seeing the posts on your trap setup. Thanks.

Probably been said already, but what area are you in dealing with these hogs?

J

Comment

I love it. Keep doing God's work.

Comment

They run in!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	covert_photo_2686749930.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	26748068

and they run around Click image for larger version

Name:	covert_photo_2686967086.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	26748069 but the gate is down. No exit here.

Name:	covert_photo_2686970430.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	26748070

Comment

The big black sow charged us when we were shooting. She hit the fence and got tangled up before flipping over and out. The other sow laid down for a long dirt nap at the same time. All others also met their demise. 16 in total fed a bunch of people.

Name:	20240311_141739.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	734.1 KB
ID:	26748074

Comment

Heres the 7 we shot in February. Click image for larger version

Name:	20240214_153359.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	575.5 KB
ID:	26748076

Comment

Oops. Heres the video of them going in.

Comment

So that was about an hour after I baited the trap on Sunday March 10. I immediately rebaited it and threw some corn out on Thursday before the rain and again on Saturday. I thought they hit the road and left but I hoped the front would bring them back in. Saturday night I retired for the day at 1130 pm. No signs of hogs.

There was a very heavy rain Saturday night so I wasnt real hopeful but when I checked the Covert cam I saw this boar hog leaving. But wait! The gate is down! Click image for larger version

Name:	covert_photo_2690725318.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	26748093

Then I looked closer and realized I had some pigs trapped. Click image for larger version

Name:	covert_photo_2690728467.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	26748094
                And this is the big hog that turned an armadillo tunnel into a hog tunnel. Click image for larger version

Name:	covert_photo_2690744925.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	26748095

Comment

I checked the video.

Comment

Another awesome thread!! Woo-Hoo! Keep at 'em girl!! You indeed are doing great so far this season! KAP!!

Comment

So I was thinking 6-10 pigs. 2 guns would be enough.

I took Cowboy out after church to check the racoon traps. He spotted the raccoons and set to barking. I pulled him off and went to the house. The Pistol texted, have you seen this??

Name:	covert_photo_2690955483.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	26748103

OH MY GOSH!! Thats a lot of pigs!! Note the time - it coincides with Cowboy barking at the raccoon 300 yards away.

Here the video:
                      13 pigs in trap. Upset bc they hear dog barking 300 yards away.

Comment

So I got on the phone. Youd think people would be somewhat more available on a Sunday afternoon to shoot pigs, but nope. Call after call no one was available. I finally got to the bottom of my call list. My friend Kevin was already coming but we needed at least 1 more gun. 1 final call - please come help! My neighbor Ted said he would come. He brought 3 more guns. At 430, we laid down 13 more pigs. Click image for larger version

Name:	20240317_170047.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	1,018.0 KB
ID:	26748111

Comment

My camera got bumped yesterday with pigs running, but I just checked it. Yup - another pig showed up.

Name:	covert_photo_2691827172.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	26748113

Comment

Yes hes in there right now but Im waiting to see what else arrives.

Comment

Yeeeehaawww.

Comment

Working...
                              X