STX Javelina and Turkey Trip 2024 Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STX Javelina and Turkey Trip 2024 Recap

This trip has officially became my favorite trip of the year, time spent with close friends and great people. This is the second year we have made the trip south but the first year to do so for turkeys.

Friday morning 3/15 we loaded into the packed up truck and made the 7.5hr trip south, arriving around 12:30 where we set up camp, unpacked and shot our bows. At approximately 2pm we were on the board with 1 of 2 rattlesnakes right in camp! That got the blood pumping a little and shortly after we headed out for the evening javelina hunt. We spilt into two groups and were over looking corned senderos. It did not take long despite being a little warm for the javis to start moving. I grabbed my bow, got down wind and started the first stalk. There were about 4-5 on the road feeding when I made into 35yds. I set my pin drew back and released…… right into an overhanging mesquite limb which sent my arrow skipping away. They didn’t move far so I tucked into some brush and waited.. after about 10 minutes a duo of javis started working back to the feeder just off the road and I was set up perfect, I drew back and shot the first one at 14yds. I let everything settle down and went to retrieve the downed javelina and made my way back to the truck. On the way back to the truck I had almost made it when I heard the unmistakable rattle of snake #2! With bow in hand I re-nocked the javelina arrow and pinned the rattler to the ground. What a rush!( we were fortunate to get over an 1” of rain fall that night that really cooled things off and made it very enjoyable.)

Saturday 3/16 was very eventful and one I won’t forget, we spilt up again and my main focus this morning was obviously turkey. I made a few soft yelps and was quickly cut off with 2 gobbles, I scrambled around and got the avian LCD Jake, feeder hen and breeding hen set up just off the main road in a visible area. Meanwhile the Tom is hammering at me, my only cover was a small section of mesquites set up in and cut a small hole to shoot through. Once set I cut a couple notes on the diaphragm call and this time he was right on top of me so I shut up and let him come. I quickly saw him strutting in and he was locked on the decoy spread. I came to full draw as he was spitting and drumming his way in. As soon as he hit my opening at 21yds the MegaMeat hit its mark and he went down in about 20yds, my FIRST Tom with a bow! (Note to self let the bird clear the decoys or you will also send an arrow into your new 1/2 strut Jake!)
    Shortly after at the same area some javis worked out, we decided to gather my buddy and his son from another area to try and get his son on his first javi. After a short stalk and a prone shot at 80yds he had his first javi down, it was a great morning!
    The rest of the day led to a couple failed stalks and a close call with another gobbler who skirted behind us. That evening was the final evening and my buddy was the only one that hadn’t had a chance so we made our way out were hopeful. The first area was a bust, but we got a text that another road had some javis on it, so we headed over. Being the last day he opted to break out the 6mm and made a great 123yd shot and dropped a nice sized javi.
    Back at camp we spent the rest of the evening cooking dinner and just enjoying the peaceful atmosphere. It was truly a great trip with some even better people. I appreciate the opportunity and look forward to the trip yearly.

Attached Files

I have a couple really cool videos of my javi and turkey shots if someone can help on how to post these.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Some great pictures! Gotta love STx in the spring!

Comment

Congratulations. It was a blast having ya all down.

Comment

Very nice. love stalking javalinas.

Comment

Great job....Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats!!!!!

Javies are Gods gift to a stalking bowhunter!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Laying waste down in South Texas.

Comment

Awesome!!! Nice job.

Big congrats on the Gobbler with a bow. That megameat is a nasty broadhead.
                    Last edited by Bone Thug; 03-18-2024, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Finally got the videos uploaded

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                        X