Calgary/Canmore/Banff to-do’s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calgary/Canmore/Banff to-do’s?

I’ll be in the Canmore/Banff area in mid-June on vacation with the family and looking for can’t miss to-do’s and/or suggestions.

Anyone got any ideas?

Take something to eat and tea bags. They can't cook and make instant tea.

But the area is CLEAN and beautiful

Comment

If you can, spend the time to make it all the way to Jasper. IMHO, the further north you go, the better it gets. I would spend 1-2 days in and around Jasper as welll.

Ride the shuttle to Moraine, parking is impossible.

If you have kiddos, there is a bobsled slope in Calgary that they turn into a roller track in the summer that is a BLAST!

And, like QB said, get ready for Lipton powdered tea if you order iced tea….lol…
      Last edited by Greenheadless; 03-16-2024, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Lake Louise near Banff has a good hike, and another glacier hike nearby. Blackstone Mountain Lodge was good in Canmore. Rent a car and visit Glacier National Park in Montana. Make reservations now since it gets booked early..

Comment

Originally posted by BarBBar View Post
          Lake Louise near Banff has a good hike, and another glacier hike nearby. Blackstone Mountain Lodge was good in Canmore. Rent a car and visit Glacier National Park in Montana. Make reservations now since it gets booked early..
          Glacier’s already booked up thru June. I only know because I am trying to book into July right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            If you can, spend the time to make it all the way to Jasper. IMHO, the further north you go, the better it gets. I would spend 1-2 days in and around Jasper as welll.

Ride the shuttle to Moraine, parking is impossible.

If you have kiddos, there is a bobsled slope in Calgary that they turn into a roller track in the summer that is a BLAST!

And, like QB said, get ready for Lipton powdered tea if you order iced tea….lol…
            Moraine and a tour along the icefields highway is 100% on the agenda.​

Good to know about tea. Thanks, QB! As long as they have Dr Pepper, or something similar, I’ll be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

Moraine and a tour along the icefields highway is 100% on the agenda.​

Good to know about tea. Thanks, QB! As long as they have Dr Pepper, or something similar, I’ll be OK.
              There are LOADS of pull outs along the Icefields Hwy. you can take the glacier tour (we didn’t do this). Every pull out is worth the stop. Take some good binos as there is wildlife everywhere. The number of mountain goats is astonishing if you take some time to pick apart the cliff faces.

Must see’s:
              Peyto Lake Overlook
              Sunwapta Falls
              Medicine and Malfine lakes (boat tour is cool)

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

There are LOADS of pull outs along the Icefields Hwy. you can take the glacier tour (we didn’t do this). Every pull out is worth the stop. Take some good binos as there is wildlife everywhere. The number of mountain goats is astonishing if you take some time to pick apart the cliff faces.

Must see’s:
                Peyto Lake Overlook
                Sunwapta Falls
                Medicine and Malfine lakes (boat tour is cool)
                Excellent. Thank you! And the pull-out’s are why we’re going. But that’s good to know about the binos!

Comment

Calgary has some world-class restaurants if you know where to go. For Italian, Mercato in the Mission district, and Hy’s in downtown for steaks are really good. Lots of great pubs, restaurants, and bars along Stephen Ave. Calgary Tower is similar to Reunion Tower in Dallas and the Saddledome is cool to see if you’re a hockey fan. If you’re there thru the second week of July, you’ll be there during Stampede which is a big entertainment and rodeo event.In Banff, stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs and take the Johnston Canyon hike just outside of Banff. Canmore is similar to some laid back Colorado ski resort towns without the snooty yankee and California transplants. Lake Louise is a must-see also. Canmore and Banff are more kid-friendly.

Comment

Get the GyPSy app. It's a great tour guide with lots of info on sights to see everywhere you go.

Listen as stories, tips and directions autoplay, based on your location.

Comment

Banff and surrounding area is absolutely stunning. Lake moraine and Louise are incredible. You can find parking if you’re there at 4 am. Hike to little beehive is awesome. Best sunrise I’ve ever seen. Kayak the glacier lakes. Well worth it.

Comment

Crazy to think a lot of these areas require booking to visit. As a kid, we got in the car and just drove. We always had an idea of where we were going but arrival date was rarely in the books. And we did this many times for 2 weeks each trip. We camped plenty and got hotels when needed

Best canadian memory was a VERY large elk in the road. This pint size car rolled up and honked the horn at it. The elk lowered his head toward the car and the car backed away. That and the worst attempt at a chicken fried steak in history happened in Baniff

Comment

Jasper National forest is cool but the best IMO is Emerald Lake - spectacular lake and incredible hiking - google it

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                            Jasper National forest is cool but the best IMO is Emerald Lake - spectacular lake and incredible hiking - google it
                            Edit: thank you! I found the Emerald Lake in question.
                            Last edited by Etxbuckman; 03-17-2024, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

The Emerald Lake I found is in Colorado. Am I missing something?
                              Look up Emerald Lake Lodge. Thats where I went for my honeymoon. Prettiest place Ive ever been. If I remember it was about 45 miles from Banff.

Comment

Working...
                              X