Nolan county food plot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nolan county food plot question

So I have been putting food plots in for a few years now wheat one year and oats another. They like the wheat over the oats I found out this year. I am south of Abilene on the Taylor Nolan county line. Looking for suggestions that might grow well and they eat good in that area. One plot in 10 acres the other is 5 to 8. Don’t have a drill but I can plow it in. I normally use the box blade rippers then drag it in. Tried clover it just does not do well, maybe radish or turnips, or something else that grows well in that area.

My buddy just got a new lease and I told him today “ too bad you didn’t sew this up 3 months ago. With the temps and rains around here a man could have grown something. I’m planting Milo soon.

Comment

With the exception of the clover I normally only plant fall plots. Was thinking of putting in some Milo this year for dove if I do that normally goes in a couple of weeks to a month from now.

Comment

I’d wait till October 1 and stay with wheat. Some will plant in early September but you are taking a real chance with army worms.

Comment

I’m a little NW of you, I plant a wildlife mix the last weekend in Sept that does really well if we get moisture. The deer eat it but no better and maybe not as well as my neighbors wheat.

Comment

Working...
          X