Opening Morning Turkey Set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening Morning Turkey Set up

For those turkey hunting in the morning what is your set up going to be? I sat this morning to scout and saw a few gobblers with lots of jakes and hens. The gobblers didn't seem very fired up yet. I am in between Alice and George West.

I usually run a Jake and a hen or two in early season

Comment

Running a feeding hen, and an upright hen in the morning. Tomorrow afternoon I might add a laying hen and a 3/4 strut Jake decoy

Comment

Good ideas...

Comment

I normally just run a hen and Jake. Last 2 years on opening weekend had success!!

Comment

For what it's worth, I am going out to Sterling county in late April to try get some toms. Later in the season I try to only put out only hens for decoys due to (I think) the jakes and toms of being tired of fighting the last couple months.

I am not a pro but that is what I figure.

Comment

Strutting in Burnet County.
              Southwest of San Angelo as well.

Comment

Comment

Pay attention which direction they are headed when leaving the roost. Easier to call in birds calling from the direction they want to go anyway

Comment

They be Strutting in Brackettville the last few days.

Comment

I really want to kill one with my longbow this year. I'm going out a few days prior to the opener and set a pop-up in an area we usually see turkeys in the Spring. Being stuck hunting that one spot lowers my odds a bit but the blind will help me draw without getting busted

Comment

It will vary but I hunt turkeys with my bow and out of a popup (in our hot areas) so my set up consists of a 3/4 DSD jake and a couple of hens most mornings. If they aren't reacting to the regular 3/4 jake, I'll switch it out for the mating motion jake in pic ......but a jake and at least one hen usually does the trick.

Click image for larger version  Name:	00 DB turkey new flat.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	26747290

Click image for larger version  Name:	DB turkey pumpjack.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.4 KB ID:	26747291
                        Last edited by Smart; 03-18-2024, 10:32 AM.

Comment

The tom I shot this past weekend came into an Avian X 1/4 strut Jake over a laying breeding hen with another feeding hen a few yards out.

Comment

Working...
                          X