Selling something and safely getting paid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling something and safely getting paid

What is the best way to sell something across the county and get your money without the possibility of them pulling it back or any other type of scam?

My boy is selling a rodeo horse and someone in Idaho wants it. He can be ensure the money isn't pulled back after he ships the horse?

Venmo
    Cashap
    Paypal
    Wire Transfer
    If the guy sends you money, and it shows up in your account… he can’t just take it back magically.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
      Venmo
      Cashap
      Paypal
      Wire Transfer
      If the guy sends you money, and it shows up in your account… he can’t just take it back magically.
      This assumes trust. I trust these guys on here but I don’t know if I would trust someone across the country to pay after I delivered or deliver before he payed. Seems a little strange that he wouldn’t want to actually look at the horse. I would.

Comment

Cash in hand is the only sure bet...postal money orders are Forum

Comment

Have the money wired from their account to his BEFORE the horse is loaded

No way I would trust anything other than that with a sale that involved multi thousands of dollars and shipping something

If it is a good horse another buyer will soon be along

Comment

If you do PayPal just don’t do friends and family. There is a fee but he can’t just pull the money back. And like said above verify payment is received before horse is loaded

Comment

Bank wire. No other way. Multi-million dollar business deals exchange funds this way everyday. When the funds hit you son's account, THEN he loads the horse up for insured delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                Have the money wired from their account to his BEFORE the horse is loaded

No way I would trust anything other than that with a sale that involved multi thousands of dollars and shipping something

If it is a good horse another buyer will soon be along
                Like he said, you don't have to sell to the first person that contacts you. I'd just have more patience. Also, a person I know shipped wheels and tires across the country after being paid through paypal. The buyer was even on camera picking them up from the distribution center local to him and he still committed fraud by claiming the "wrong wheels and tires" were shipped to him and paypal gave him his money back leaving the seller high and dry. Until the seller found his relatives facebook accounts and contacted them individually. Apparently they confronted the buyer and pressured him into doing the right thing cause the money was returned back to the seller in the end.

I sold a spotting scope on ebay one time with a dozen up close high definition photos showing each small superficial nick on it as well as disclosing all this in the description of the ad. This was a 15+ year old spotting scope. I accepted a buyer from California's offer a few hundred less than what I was wanting. Once he received it he immediately started making accusations and bitched and moaned it wasn't in brand new condition. I pointed out all that was disclosed in the photos and description of the item. That set him off because I didn't cave and refund him his money so he could probably ship me back a pack of dog treats. So he committed fraud with his credit card company lying to them that he didn't receive the scope. His credit card company refunded him the money but thankfully ebay didn't take it back out of my account.

It's a toss up on whether or not that person is honest and still has good morals. Save yourself the headache and either meet halfway with cash in hand or wait for a buyer closer to home.

Comment

Try using an escrow agent. Perhaps start with your bank or even go online and search for escrow agents who specialize in facilitating the sale of horses (they’re called equine escrow agents).

While it will cost you, not only will an escrow agent ensure the safe transfer of funds, you can also extend the terms to include issues of misrepresentation of the health of the animal prior to purchase. Say, for example, the horse was fine when you inspected it prior to purchase but, somehow, is lame when delivered to you.

Comment

Wire it through the banks.

cost me $15 at mine but worth the peace of mind when dealing with high dollar amounts

Comment

Wire it. Your son's bank will have a form email with wiring instructions, the buyer can go to his bank and they will know precisely how to go about it...it's not difficult.

I also would not be surprised to learn that the horse industry may have services who do this very thing, horses being the tragedy prone critter that they are.

Comment

we ship horses world wide and do wire transfers, France, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait.....some here in states make payments but the horse must be insured and contract in hand plus we charge board till paid.....in states we like Equine Express for hauling, one lady in California used some yahoos and drove across dessert in summer and horse looked pitiful upon arrival but we take photos at loading to show what we loaded, wife figured that one wasn't going to go well.....Equine Express hauls for big names, late Toby Keith, Terry Bradshaw and when we picked up Fresian they had a horse there for Cher. These guys are top notch and know what they are doing. I think their haul includes $5000 in insurance and driver told me Toby Keith said about one of his that it wouldn't cover a hoof on the horse......said both are/were great guys to haul for and deal with. Ones flown go to San Antonio for quarantine and one we shipped to UAE first flew to The Netherlands......former neighbor is from Germany and she would fly with horses tending to them for free trip back to Europe and I think last I looked it was cheaper to fly a horse than a person there on commercial.......Ours are Arabians and half Arabs, well wifes not mine..........

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Wire it. Your son's bank will have a form email with wiring instructions, the buyer can go to his bank and they will know precisely how to go about it...it's not difficult.

I also would not be surprised to learn that the horse industry may have services who do this very thing, horses being the tragedy prone critter that they are.
                          We require insurance on horse with sales contract.

Comment

The horse industry does indeed have people who offer these services. They’re called equine escrow agents.

Comment

..........................................., horses being the tragedy prone critter that they are.
                              no sh***t

Comment

Working...
                              X