Help me get into an old old safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me get into an old old safe

I purchased a property in south Texas that has an old safe located in an old house.

The safe is very heavy, I cant move it by hand. And it is located inside this old house so it is hard to get any kind of machinery to it, or move the safe outside of the house.

I dont have any power to the property at the moment either.

Pics of the safe are below, it does look like someone tried to get into it through the bottom.

Any way to get into this thing? I am heading down to the property this weekend and would like to see if I can get inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_9486.jpg
Views:	1631
Size:	562.3 KB
ID:	26743659 Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_9485.jpg
Views:	1592
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	26743660

Can you see anything through that hole to see if it’s worth the trouble

Comment

Sawsall the hinges maybe ?

Comment

Angle grinder will get you in about every safe out there. That one would take less than 30 minutes

Comment

May be as easy as cutting hindges but look and see if it had bars at bottom or door side. Those are easy to cut as well. I’ve cut into safes on search warrants and none of them took very long.

Comment

Does that hole actually reach into the inside of the safe? I’d shove my phone or something else that can record video with a light in there to see if there’s anything worth the hassle
            inside before I did anything else

Comment

Safe bottoms are the weakest part of the safe. A grinder is most likely your best bet

Comment

I bought the camera snake, will see how that works.

The hole in the bottom of the safe is about the size of a tennis ball and too small for me to get my hand inside.

I agree on the grinder but I dont have access to power and wont have a generator on this trip. I am hopeful I wont have to cut the hinges off so that I can try to preserve the look of the safe. I honestly would be very surprised if there is anything of value inside, but very curious.
                Last edited by squirrel; 03-14-2024, 01:54 PM.

Comment

There may be another kind of snake in there!!

Comment

Try and borrow an angle grinder 20 volt and it should cut both hindges on one battery.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      Try and borrow an angle grinder 20 volt and it should cut both hindges on one battery.
                      this.

We did cut the top off one with a bas *** demo blade and a circular saw once.

Comment

I can't imagine someone went through all that work and then just left the contents inside. Good Luck Though!

Comment

Some suggestions.
                          1. Sawzall with several batteries and several metal blades. Cut the rest of the floor out. It is tough to know if cutting the hinges would work. Depends on how it locks.
                          2. Take a small generator with you and angle grinders with metal cutoff discs.
                          3. Portable Oxy/acety torch. Easy peasy.
                          4. Long chain or strap and a tractor or SxS/4 wheeler and drag that sucka onto your trailer and take it home.
                          All this is after checking it with the camera and it anything is in it. Haha. I bet it has been checked already.

Good luck.

J

Comment

whoever took the time to cut the bottom out I'm pretty sure they got anything in there.

Comment

Working...
                            X