No announcement yet.

Generac Generator Owners Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same issue. I ended up running the wire through the attic. Set the generator away from the bedrooms so noise isn't an issue.

Comment

After suffering through hurricane Laura, these whole house gens make no sense to me. I'll never waste my money on dat

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
        After suffering through hurricane Laura, these whole house gens make no sense to me. I'll never waste my money on dat
        Not erraybody lives in a below sea-level swamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

Not erraybody lives in a below sea-level swamp.
          Maybe that made sense to him haha

Comment

I do these all the time. It almost always makes more sense to run through the attic. Most house that have gas, have gas lines in the attic. Nothing dangerous about it at all. The most important thing, and something that I see done wrong very often, is that the gas line is sized properly for the generator (it's also a common issue on tankless water heaters).
            Generally, I would prefer a shorter gas line and longer wires if given the choice.

Comment

What is gonna happen when ~20% of houses in a given area have Nat Gas generators, the power goes out, and they all kick on at once? I understand point of use pressure is very low, and pre-meter pressure is pretty high...but there's a point at which this isn't going to work...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                What is gonna happen when ~20% of houses in a given area have Nat Gas generators, the power goes out, and they all kick on at once? I understand point of use pressure is very low, and pre-meter pressure is pretty high...but there's a point at which this isn't going to work...
                During this years freeze event, I as well as other portions of W/SW Houston lost pressure during the two coldest mornings.

Scary part is, ain’t no one talking about it or asking questions. They were all focused on the electrical grid.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post

I have a whole house and a backup gas generator with a portable AC. If it’s summer I won’t go without AC.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    I had customers in Snowmageddon who’s NG systems didn’t work because the compressor stations were down and the folks with the propane systems went through $1k of propane in 3 days!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

I have a whole house and a backup gas generator with a portable AC. If it’s summer I won’t go without AC.

Yep, lived on generator and window unit for 28 days

Comment

Working...
                      X