2024 San Angelo surrounding area season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2024 San Angelo surrounding area season thread

2023 was a great year for some and ho-hum horrible for the rest of us.... again. Congrats again to all that were successful!! I only got to hunt the last weekend of season due to several surgeries starting in August 23 so I am amped to start the new year. I'm fully recovered and ready to get it kicked off during turkey season. With protein, cottonseed, alfalfa, and coon killing season already started up it's time to start another one. Our place is green as I have seen in it a few years, so hopefully the deer and turkey are taking full advantage of it. Even so we will be continuing on with the offseason feeding and praying for rain as usual..

Post up your pics and stories fellas as usual: Hunts, trail camera pics, LDPs, work weekends, new projects, new blinds, food, drinks, coons and other varmint carnages are all welcome! The more participation the better the thread. Here's to a bountiful 2024 after a mediocre Angelo area hunters season.

Tuned in for another year. We have definitely been blessed with some good rains and mild temperatures so far.

I wish the best for everyone this year.

Comment

Been waiting on the new thread. Look forward to another great year in Gods Country! Headed West this weekend for a protein and corn run.

Our place is green, green from what other members are seeing.

Comment

Tuned in. It should be a great year. Definitely off to a good start.
        Not San Angelo area but not too far away.
        This was 3 weeks ago between Brady and Menard.
        In 25 years on this place I’ve never seen this in February..
        Green grass 4-6” deep.

Attached Files

Comment

We're between Ozona and Barnhart and had a mediocre season as well. I did however put my boys to work a few weeks ago when they helped me put up a new protein feeder and feed pen to keep the cows out. Had a productive trip and look forward to getting back out there after my spring turn-around season and look for some turkey and sheds.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	624
Size:	710.6 KB
ID:	26741103
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	586
Size:	672.9 KB
ID:	26741104

Comment

In, due to life throwing curveballs didn't get out at all last season. A couple decent deer (and one great 3yo that should have walked) got taken on our lease this year but most of the target bucks made it through. Looking forward to some spring turkey and getting out there next season. Praying the rains come earlier this year!

Comment

Good luck to all my TBH brothers to the north (I’m in Sonora, so y’all are north of me😆)!!!!

Bisch

Comment

It pains me to post this but after many years of hunting the Christoval lease grounds (Portion of - Head of the River Ranch), we were informed that our owner has decided to lease the entire ranch to a corporate group. So at this time I will just have to be a lurker on this thread. Who knows what the next chapter will bring, but for now its looking like I will be joining the Old Mexico 2024/2025 thread as an active member........

Best of luck to all of you San Angelo area hunters and hope all kill a giant.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                  It pains me to post this but after many years of hunting the Christoval lease grounds (Portion of - Head of the River Ranch), we were informed that our owner has decided to lease the entire ranch to a corporate group. So at this time I will just have to be a lurker on this thread. Who knows what the next chapter will bring, but for now its looking like I will be joining the Old Mexico 2024/2025 thread as an active member........

Rwc

Dang Richard that is horrible news. Sorry to hear that. I bet he regrets that after a year.

Comment

Rwc
                    Sorry to hear that. This will likely be our last year on our sterling city lease. Owners wanted to lease to an outfitter a couple years ago and luckily we’ve been there long enough they gave us a 3 year extension but at a big premium, 24-25 will be the last of the contract so I’m expecting either a big premium increase or we lose the lease

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

Dang Richard that is horrible news. Sorry to hear that. I bet he regrets that after a year.
                      Yes sir, that was my thoughts also.

Just the lease game I guess, just hurts to loose!

Rwc

Comment

We put our place between Paint Rock and Eden on the market and sold it pretty quick. We close Wednesday. I’m going to miss west Texas for sure. I’ll be following this thread like always though. Good luck to y’all this year.
                        Last edited by 270Sendero; 03-11-2024, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Rwc
                          Sorry to hear this..
                          I dread the day but I know it’s coming.

I have 6 customers that had a primo piece of far west Texas leased for over 40 years and they killed some giant mule deer on that 30,000+ acre place. LO passed and the son leased it as fast as he could to a well known outfitter.. They are so sick over it they may need counseling..

Comment

If we were to ever lose my place of 17 years, I told my wife, that don't be surprised if I sell it all and dove hunt/crappie fish the rest of my life. Our landowners are world class and its just been a pleasurable place to hunt. At 55, I'm not really interested in new nut kicks so it would have to be a good situation with folks I know and trust.

Comment

Had a fair season in Irion county last year. Drought last 2 years set things back on horn quality and recruitment. Right now it is very green and looks good. Hopefully we will have a reasonably wet year for the area.

One thing about deer leases, eventually you will loose it. Every time I lost one it was due to ownership change.
                              Last edited by SCHC; 03-12-2024, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X