AC drain line question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdavidson View Post
    Now for the correct answer ( not being a Richard )… You have a gas furnace system…
    You have a POSITIVE pressure drain system…therefore no trap is necessary. And this is because your evaporator is on the discharge side of the blower.
    If your system was electric the drain would be on the suction side of the blower thus creating a NEGATIVE pressure drain system. Then you would need a trap
    I don’t know about down there, but here we install all gas furnaces, and code requires we install p traps ( positive pressure).

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
      Sorry for the crude sketch, but if you straighten it all out, it is plumbed like this. I don't think the P trap is serving it's purpose.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ac drain2.jpg Views:	415 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	26730849
      I think you are plumbed correctly. Most primary condensate drains are piped to a vent pipe above a toilet or sink/bathtub. Most overflow catch pans are piped through the soffit or wall so that's it's obvious when the primary is clogged.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Monark; 03-15-2024, 04:35 PM.

Comment

This is a single story house. Unit is in a closet not in the attic. There is no secondary drain.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfeeder01 View Post
          The Bleach issue , As i was told, is that the chemical reaction from the sodium hypochlorite can lead to the overall degradation of the metal coils in the system. the Vinegar is supposedly a
          less reactive agent. ( I failed science ) so my AC Tech, said that vinegar is less reactive, and NON Toxic.

He's running PVC on the drain, and likely only poured a very small amount in once or twice a year. I don't see the problem to the system.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post

He's running PVC on the drain, and likely only poured a very small amount in once or twice a year. I don't see the problem to the system.
            PVC going to copper through the slab.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
              Well, right or wrong, I put it back like the previous unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ac drain 4.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	26744736
              please leave it just like you currently have it…because you have it correct

Comment

Working...
              X