Dove plot info!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove plot info!!

Looking to plant about a 2acre dove plot in March or April, Looking for advice from anyone that has done this, I've been thinking about millet or milo since they are drought resistant and do good for bee county area, Any info with pics would be appreciated!!

Sesame has been great hunting for me

Comment

We have been thinking the same at my buddy’s place. Problem is, the ranch is mostly sand down near falfurrias. Wasn’t sure exactly would grow Other than sunflowers

Comment

Milo is very hard on soil and tough to grow. Seeds are also a challenge to get to release when you want them to. Of those 2 brown top and pearl head millet have worked well for me in the past. As well as sunflowers

Comment

I have a 20 acre field in childress that we are going to plant for birds, I think the deer will also get some benefit from it, brown and red top millet, sunflowers, and cow peas, the peas can climb the sunflower stalks, will see how this all works out, hopefully will get some may and June rains

Comment

Turner seeds makes a dove plot mix that has most of what has been mentioned (sesame, millet, sunflowers, etc.). We planted a few acres last year but didn't fence it. The cows and deer destroyed it once the rains stopped in June so I can't tell you how it turned out. But prior to getting destroyed it looked amazing as it was all 6-9" tall in late May.

Comment

Thanks fellas for the input and advice, sunflowers should have been in the ground already correct, I will locate that dove mix and go that route!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfpack0311 View Post
                Thanks fellas for the input and advice, sunflowers should have been in the ground already correct, I will locate that dove mix and go that route!
                That probably depends on where you are located, I am in Childress TX and was thinking about planting in April.

Comment

Native sunflowers need to be spread and planted in the winter to go through cold strat. Its not too late to spread them now....should have some more freezes before the spring. Once you establish them you never have to plant them again.....just disc the ground in the winter and they will sprout again in the spring.

Perdovik sunflowers take about 100 days to mature and drop seed so backtrack from opening day and that is your planting window. I usually like them to drop seed about 2 weeks before the season so the birds will find them.
                  Last edited by unclefish; 02-06-2024, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                    Native sunflowers need to be spread and planted in the winter to go through cold strat. Its not too late to spread them now....should have some more freezes before the spring. Once you establish them you never have to plant them again.....just disc the ground in the winter and they will sprout again in the spring.

Perdovik sunflowers take about 100 days to mature and drop seed so backtrack from opening day and that is your planting window. I usually like them to drop seed about 2 weeks before the season so the birds will find them.
                    Yes I was going to plant a mix of 3 different millets, black oil sunflowers and a bean, I had found that recipe somewhere on the web, supposed to do ok in the panhandle of Texas. Plant dates were early April to mid May I think.

Comment

So this is the progress of my dove plot I planted mid April. I used a variety of seeds from pogue agri supply in kenedy,tx. The plot consist of 100lbs sunflowers, bird buffet seed mix , that has browntop millet, dove proso millet, German foxtail millet, sorghum, sesame seed. This is my first time doing a dove plot so it will get better each year.

Comment

Did you broadcast it or drill it?

Comment

Just broadcast, then dragged it!

Comment

The native/common sunflower seeds do need a freeze cycle, but not so much the black oil/Peredovic.

I'd stick with the Turner Seed spring dove mix.

Comment

The most successful dove fields are planted 100 days before the opener, and then seeded again about three days before.

Comment

Working...
                              X