Stock market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock market

Looking for historical stats and not really opinions.
    How is the Dow, Nasdaq and S&P valued right now compared to the last 40 years (or as far back as one cares to go)? PE ratios, forward revenue guidance, or any other metric used to value a company.

Just looking on the surface it looks as though they are far far over valued. But I'm hoping some here can give me data that shows they are not.
    If it's easier data from Apple, Microsoft, or other mega stocks will work also.

Shiller PE Ratio chart, historic, and current data. Current Shiller PE Ratio is 33.37, a change of +0.35 from previous market close.

Current price 33x. Mean price 17x. Still note in dot com bubble levels but high for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
      https://www.multpl.com/shiller-pe

Current price 33x. Mean price 17x. Still note in dot com bubble levels but high for sure.
      So usually a PE of 2x normal would mean much higher revenue growth versus normal. Is that data available for the index's?

Comment

price to book value is nearing the highest its been in 24 years and the price to sales ratio is higher than any other time since 2000, aside from during the peak of COVID19. these indicate investors are willing to pay a premium for shares, and/or have confidence that the companies within the S&P 500 will continue to provide growth and outsized returns, as compared to previous years. considering the current monetary policy of the Fed, and the impact interest rate increases will soon have on many large companies, as they seek to refinance existing debt, we might be in for a cooling off period in the market. Question is, will it happen before or after the election...my guess is after, especially if Red takes back over.

S&P 500 Price to Book Value - Multpl

S&P 500 Price to Sales Ratio - Multpl

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	216
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	26711706​​
        Last edited by topshot; 02-04-2024, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X