Wagyu Herd - Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu Herd - Value?

A few friends went in and bought some cattle about a year ago. The problem we've ran into is our "cowboy", who was to be in charge of overseeing the cattle, got into it with his wife. The result is he's getting a divorce and now we're thinking we need to sell the whole herd off.

Here's what we have, 2 steers, 12 cows, 12 calves (not yet weened, 10 bulls, 2 heifers). The 12 cows were all sired by a registered (100%) wagyu bull out of Oklahoma (I have the AWA #).

We have a rancher interested in buying all 26, he's asked, "How much?" We don't know where to even start.

NOTE: I believe the cows that gave birth to the calves are 50/50 wagyu angus.

Appreciate any insight!

at the live auction the black steers could bring $2 plus... commanche market report $1500 per pair avg or Maybe you get $20-$25k for the herd?
    we are taking a Wangus to the meat market tomorrow...

Comment

Cattle are HIGH right now. Here’s the market report from the Graham Tx sale this past Monday. They generally post the higher end sales, but this will give you an idea.
      Attached Files

Comment

Good info, appreciate it!

Comment

​You should be closer to the $30-32k on that many, probably more. Cattle sales are very good right now, very good.

Comment

Cattle are higher than a giraffes b hole right now. Give him a number in the low $30s and tell him to come pick them all up and I bet he will take it.

Comment

I think that you may be cheap at 32K. Let me ask a buddy that just bought some and I'll get back to you.

Comment

What’s the weight of your 2 steers and the weight of the calves on the cows. Are your bull calves cut ? What Age are your cows? And bull? This will help to determine a selling price.

Comment

The questions I would ask are:

Weight of the steers
                  Weight of the calves
                  Age of the cows. Solid mouth or broke mouth?

Those are three large factors in my opinion on price you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                    at the live auction the black steers could bring $2 plus... commanche market report $1500 per pair avg or Maybe you get $20-$25k for the herd?
                    we are taking a Wangus to the meat market tomorrow...
                    Unless they are Wagyu. Do not take these specialty breed to the sale barn. Compared to an Angus, they look like paltry dairy calves.

Sell them direct to a buyer.

Comment

Go to Livestock Market (https://www.livestockmarket.com/) plug in your variables and look what the pros are selling them for.

Comment

If your cows are young and fancy, I can see $1800 each assuming that they are bred back. Pick through the sales report and try to find something that matches what you have. You didn't say if those calves are new born or getting close to weaning age. That matters quite a bit. Prices are per hundred weight so a 600 pound steer could bring $1800 if he is top quality.
                        Last edited by 60 Deluxe; 02-02-2024, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Maybe I missed it. Where are your cows located.

Comment

Am I missing something where you cant just take care of them yourselves?

Comment

Working...
                            X