2024 Gardening Thread!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2024 Gardening Thread!!

OK guys n gals, let's get out and play in the dirt!! I saw a post in the 23 gardening thread that Geezy Rider would not be gardening this year. Real sorry to hear that! Wife and I are really getting ready to get our early seeds started... Taking the grandsons hunting next week, then it's hit the greenhouse time... We've bought a bunch of seed packets and got the greenhouse cleaned out. It's a bit wet out on the Prairie right now, so no plot preps going on for a while... We will be moving more and more stuff to bags this year since the bags have been so successful for us the past 3 years...

Y'all post up what you have going on and let's make this a green thumb year for TBH!!
    We start the seeds, I'll post up pics and what we've got going... Right now, only one tray started with early broccoli and cauliflower and 3 varieties of lettuce... More later.

That’s good to hear about the blackberries, hoping for a good crop. We’re still eating tomatoes from our fall plants, have a couple weeks worth left. Wife got our jalapeños up and growing. We plan on cucumbers, lettuce, peas and tomato plants for this spring, fall crops are up in the air besides tomatoes, basil and beans.

Comment

Onions are in. Just enough this year for my pickles. Started an asparagus bed last year so should have enough for a little bit here and there this year. Garlic went in November. Spinach survived the cold snap and doing well. Carrots are in. Started a few tomatoes and peppers last week. Got my blackberry plot going last yr so hoping for a few this year. Same with strawberries. Still living off of last years canned tomatoes, salsa, and pickles, relish, etc. Planning on adding a modest amt of Okra this coming yr. Have cilantro by the bushels growing

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
        Onions are in. Just enough this year for my pickles. Started an asparagus bed last year so should have enough for a little bit here and there this year. Garlic went in November. Spinach survived the cold snap and doing well. Carrots are in. Started a few tomatoes and peppers last week. Got my blackberry plot going last yr so hoping for a few this year. Same with strawberries. Still living off of last years canned tomatoes, salsa, and pickles, relish, etc. Planning on adding a modest amt of Okra this coming yr. Have cilantro by the bushels growing
        what blackberries did you buy and plant?

Comment

I ordered 4 trees for this year. Blue banana, avacado, orange, lemon. May try a Fall garden- never really done anything other than peach trees.

Comment

Does anyone know of a variety of cherry tomatoes that grow in a pot like a bush vs going virtical?

Just ordered some seeds from Gurney's and will be my first time trying this. Typically head to the nursery and buy the plants already started. But dang of late seems they are wanting close to $7 a plant.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
              Does anyone know of a variety of cherry tomatoes that grow in a pot like a bush vs going virtical?

Just ordered some seeds from Gurney's and will be my first time trying this. Typically head to the nursery and buy the plants already started. But dang of late seems they are wanting close to $7 a plant.
              Maybe try determinate tomato varieties...

Comment

Is it too late to lay down some carrot seeds? Ive got 2 unused rows that i need to place some things in.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  Is it too late to lay down some carrot seeds? Ive got 2 unused rows that i need to place some things in.
                  Perfect time to plant carrots here in north texas, not sure of your locale...

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post

what blackberries did you buy and plant?
                    I have Ouachita thornless. Bought a handful of plants a few yrs ago and have been transplanting and giving away some to family and friends. Finally decided where I would put my plot and started mine last yr. This will be the first year I should have any fruit. My brother had a bumper crop last year. Produced well. He made several cobblers, jelly, etc.

Comment

I was able to secure some HUGE white oak acorns from NY's Hudson valley in October that were kept moist and treated with love. Put them in some solo cups with miracle grow soil. Kept them indoors, kept soil wettish and in the sun whenever possible. They(6) are cracking open and sprouting! These acorns get about the size of the old big gumballs we used to get from gumball machines.I know it will take some time for them to produce and the deer to figure out the different specie, but I am so looking forward to getting these in the ground when they are ready. I am ready for the deer fights over the mast.
                      I hope I am doing everything right. This is my first foray into this. I am excited.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post

Perfect time to plant carrots here in north texas, not sure of your locale...
                        Thanks man! Im south of you but can only assume thats a better thing. Heading to the nursery now!!!

Comment

Just put my tiller together today. Last spring/early summer tomatoes were awesome. The fall crop was dismal at best. Looking to reinvigorate the spring garden with fewer tomatoes and much more of the other stuff, like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beans, carrots, onions, potatoes, okra, etc. Even going to try a peanut patch.

Comment

Well, at the end of the 2023 gardening thread, I posted the devastating loss of all my tomato plants in my big greenhouse because I didn't provide enough heater capacity during the deep freeze a few days ago. Thought I'd post up the outcomes from that... For most of the smaller tomatoes, we were able to process them into either pickled green tomatoes or salsa verde. Both turned out great. Not what we'd planned for these tomatoes, but we were absolutely able to make "lemonade out of lemons" so to speak. For a few of the larger tomatoes, a friend of mine suggested that we could ripen them by putting them in a cool dark place with some apples mixed in with them. Apparently it's a common thing (that I'd never heard of) to take green tomatoes and put them in a paper bag and fold it shut for a few days with an apple inside the bag and it will ripen the tomatoes... Well I put some of the better ones we had salvaged into a couple "Amazon boxes" with 4 apples... IT WORKED!! They ripened in about 4-5 days to the point they're ready for whatever we want to do with ripe tomatoes!!

The interesting thing about growing those tomatoes in the greenhouse is that they were for the most part flawless fruits! There were no bug bites, splitting, no-nuthin'! since tomatoes are self polinating, all I did was shake the plants pretty good daily when I'd go into the greenhouse to check on things and water them... We will definitely be doing this again, but lessons learned will be applied! First of all, we will not separate all our plant varieties according to the greenhouse where we put them. We have 2 greenhouses. We put all the pepper plants in one and all the tomatoes in another... Next year, we will split them up, putting some of each variety in each greenhouse JIC something happens to one, we won't lose everything of one variety! Second, since I have and had the extra heating capacity for the greenhouses, I'll be better prepared to use it!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6088.jpg
Views:	1865
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	26705976 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6091.jpg
Views:	1886
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	26705977 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6092.jpg
Views:	1874
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	26705978 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6098.jpg
Views:	1879
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	26705975 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6119.jpg
Views:	1870
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	26705974 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6120.jpg
Views:	1841
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	26705979

Comment

Can someone please share their knowledge on led plant lights. Going to try to grow some seeding plus, I am going to try and grow plants in doors and my house just doesn’t have that many windows.

Comment

Working...
                              X