TPWD land trade with Musk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD land trade with Musk

Valley environmental advocates were caught off guard Tuesday when they came across a notice in The Monitor that the state parks department may be handing over land to SpaceX.

Pretty soon Elon is going to own the entire RGV. Yes I understand they’ll get more land in return, but find it hard to believe that state owned land will be turned over for private use (especially with the whole Fairfield deal).

Fairfield was never state owned land.

Comment

[QUOTE=redfishted;n26696403]Fairfield was never state owned land.[/QUOTE

Yes I forgot about that.

Wasn’t the main point anyway, but being from down here, sucks to watch Elon just take over a once untouched beach.

Comment

So if I’m reading right trading 43 acres for 477. Well I’m not a real estate agent but I would think that would give more public land to users not less- in a deal like this TPWD could also get Musk to “improve “ the raw land. This could be very good for you guys in the area

Comment

[QUOTE=BigRed323;n26696410]
          Originally posted by redfishted View Post
          Fairfield was never state owned land.[/QUOTE

Yes I forgot about that.

Wasn’t the main point anyway, but being from down here, sucks to watch Elon just take over a once untouched beach.
          If the beach is untouched it shouldn’t matter.

Comment

Not familiar with the area TPWD would be giving up, is there anything significant about the piece of land, on the surface swapping 10/1 works for me, but I don’t know the economic value of either or the recreation value.

Comment

I would rather Musk than the Chinese.

Comment

477 for 43 Sounds like a deal to me.

Comment

43 acres for 477 acres “sounds” good, but let’s look at it practically. What are the details of each acreage? Does the current 43 acres of state owned land give the public access to the beach, which should be 100% “public” property in itself? Would trading it take away access to public land? Are the 477 acres landlocked, marshlands?

In the case of land, quantity isn’t always “quality”. From a bowhunting perspective, would you rather hunt 43 acres of river bottom hardwoods or 477 acres of rice fields?

Details Matter……. (Yes, they do indeed Reacher)

Comment

Yeah I don't know how to feel about this. Boca Chica beach is pretty much untouched. Born and raised in that area of the RGV I've seen the Island go from being pretty accessible to being a nightmare to just cross the causeway. The last few times we've gone down to enjoy the beach my intentions have been to go to Boca Chica to avoid the traffic. Problem was that the beach was closed due to SpaceX activities. The trade might make some of it even less accessible.

I'm thinking about the land along HWY 100 that they might be talking about and if its where I think it is there's some good fishing in that section of the bay. Problem is that I'm not sure TPW would give us that kind of access and honestly it would be a nightmare to keep clean. Just visit the people fish along HWY 48. I'm convinced that people trashing that section of HWY 100 is the reason owners fenced it off ages ago. Not sure what hunting would be like south of HWY 100 in that area would be like. I can see where nilgai might be good there.

We shall see.
                    Last edited by SneakyPhil; 01-20-2024, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Well, TPWD ain't known for making good decisions lately so I'm sure this is at the expense of all of us and someone just trying to please weirdo Musk

Comment

The land swap is multiple small tracts for two large plots. The largest plot that musk would get is West of his current launch spot away from the beach. The two plots he’s giving up are either side of highway 100 and look to be prime animal habitat. The very southern tip of the Laguna Madre.

Comment

Working...
                        X