Sinus/cold/allergy remedies???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sinus/cold/allergy remedies???

What’s your go to remedy at the sign something is coming on? I just had all the symptoms of the common cold, hoping it doesn’t turn into a sinus infection. Anyone have a home recipe to knock the sickness back? Going to the dr today, he is pretty good about giving a couple of shots if I ask for them.

depends on the symptoms for me, usually local honey plus something else. If its throat/chest, i have some garlic cloves that have been soaking in honey for a few months that seem to help a lot even though i dont like the taste. Also, just taking honey and cinnamon daily build up your immune system. Not sure if you have ever looked at colloidal silver but its also a good immune booster. I have a friend to takes these tart cherry pills and they swear it knocks cold symptoms out pretty quick. I also take some other natural stuff from young living (nixgia Red) and it double up on it when i start feeling like something is coming.

Comment

Xyzal for allergies, good for 24hrs.,not just 4hrs.

Comment

If it's allergies or a nose thing, I take Sudafed or something similar to dry my sinus and spray Afrin up my snoz. A cold, power through. Flu or something I feel terrible I drink Nyquil and sleep until it's over.

Comment

Sudafed from behind the counter at the pharmacy (works better than the otc stuff on isle 5) and NyQuil for sleep .
          Mine lasted about 7 days.

I did pop a otc 12 hr Sudafed yesterday to dry up a little drainage- tired of hawking lugees.
          ( yeah IDK how to spell either of those-lol).

Comment

I had a pharmacist suggest a cocktail of OTC medications back in the 1980s. Here it is:

diphenhydramine (Benadryl): 25 mg
            pseudoephedrine (Sudafed): 60 mg
            ibuprofen (without headache): 400 mg
            OR
            ibuprofen (with headache): 800 mg

Though both antihistamines and decongestants have evolved over time, he believed that none of them ate as effective as the two listed above and I have found this to be true.

Caveats:
            Taken alone, diphenhydramine makes some people drowsy. Pseudoephedrine has the opposite effect, making some people jittery. Taking the two concurrently will temper the effects of each one and make them more tolerable for most people.

Ibuprofen can be hard on the stomach, however, I subsisted on 800 mg at least twice a day for years with no negative GI effects. Not everyone can do this. If you have to substitute something else for ibuprofen, make sure it’s an anti-inflammatory pain reliever and not just an analgesic (like Tylenol). Along with the decongestant, anti-inflammatory pain relievers are a key component in the mechanism of action to reduce the swelling in your sinuses.

On a related note, my husband is highly allergic to ragweed. What works for him is the use of a corticosteroid (nasal application like Flonase) which he starts 3 to 6 weeks before his allergy season. He supplements this with the antihistamine, cetirazine (can’t remember the trade name for this drug), and, together, he can manage through the season. Neither of these work for me.

Comment

Chorine Dioxide. Sip a glass and symptoms will go bye bye. Kills cancer and other bad things. I take a gallon of distilled water and add my Chlorine Dioxide and keep it in the fridge year round. Safe, no bad drugs involved.

Comment

I never take medicine for anything so it seems like when I do it really kicks in fast. If I start getting a cold I can tell because my throat feels scratchy. I'll drink some EmergenC+ a few times and it'll knock it out in a day or two.

Comment

Emergen C powder and some theraflu to sleep. The moment I have sinus issues I snort warm salt water (redneck netty pot).

Comment

If I don't get ahead of a cold soon enough I drink some apple cider vinegar. Seems to cut that stuff out of my throat and I can hack it up and get it out of there. Doesn't taste real good but it seems to work.

Comment

Take a large kitchen pot, put 1/2 inch of water in it and heat until it boils. Remove from the burner and put on top of a folded towel to protect the countertop. Take another towel, put it over your head and slowly start to lower your face and breath the steam. It should be hot but not painful. Continue doing that getting closer to the pot, then start breathing through your nose. The elevated temp kills the viruses in your nasal passages and throat. I have done that for years when I feel something coming on, and have not gotten a knock-down cold or flu. Good luck.

Comment

C-1000 vitamin, vitamin A, zinc gummy, and eldaberry syrup.

Comment

For allergies I use Chlorphen-12. It works great during ragweed season.

Active Ingredient: Chlorpheniramine maleate 12 mg

Amazon.com: Chlorpheniramine Maleate Extended Release, 12 Mg , 60 Tablets : Health & Household

Comment

Once a sinus headache hits I take the hottest shower I can stand for as long as I can stand, letting the jets beat into my head and face. This usually relieves the pain considerably.

Comment

Once a sinus headache hits I take the hottest shower I can stand for as long as I can stand, letting the jets beat into my head and face. This usually relieves the pain considerably.

Comment

Working...
                              X