Undercover camera and dealerships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undercover camera and dealerships

I wonder if more people are doing videos like this these days? I sure hope so. This one is getting a new key. Amazing how fast they program it LOL

I hid cameras before going to the Chevrolet Dealership. It was shocking to find out what happened during 1 hour of labor! Don't get ripped off - save on you...

I went through that with Volkswagen. Problem was, they only programmed the door locks. They didn't even have a key cutter. I went to several dealerships, finally got the Cadillac dealer to cut the key. Free, no charge. I went back to VW and told them the key was cut, now I wanted the rest of what I paid for. They pulled the car in and ten minutes later came back and said that the programming was unsuccessful. So now I have a several hundred dollar door key and remote. Never again. The car is old enough that it is it's own theft deterrent, no fancy engine lock-out is necessary.

Comment

Making easy money

Comment

Depending on where you buy your next used vehicle from, keep an eye out for one of these things mounted up under the dash and plugged into the OBD2 port...
        It's a cheap system using GPS to pinpoint the vehicles location (mostly used for repossession). I found this on the 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee we bought last August.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ABLVV8791WaB41DAM2_36pV9EUuiBWbr0tZGrgzNF8oAdUNWiUIb4xNFtAwgp5jwm0nAiyNBmEAnuoOXsxwxIuSSCxfKIRo6D-fiBqRmnm4Uh3jPT-NcIiR_=w2400.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	26694046

Name:	ABLVV87pVOjqUtfmZagG9zztgBOrg9ReM9IQPCgmvetq8Iu8pOOIFNmZaLz-ZaY8BKBEizTGMmds_hcgsjOpookTH-1LpUAU2bBlOq-SY9rF0KCyUkB6X0Pb=w2400.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	26694047

Comment

Male Karen.

Anyone that goes to the dealer, or thinks the entire time your car is on the lift it's being worked on, is a fool, and deserves to part with their money.

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
            Depending on where you buy your next used vehicle from, keep an eye out for one of these things mounted up under the dash and plugged into the OBD2 port...
            It's a cheap system using GPS to pinpoint the vehicles location (mostly used for repossession). I found this on the 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee we bought last August.

Name:	ABLVV8791WaB41DAM2_36pV9EUuiBWbr0tZGrgzNF8oAdUNWiUIb4xNFtAwgp5jwm0nAiyNBmEAnuoOXsxwxIuSSCxfKIRo6D-fiBqRmnm4Uh3jPT-NcIiR_=w2400.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	26694046

Name:	ABLVV87pVOjqUtfmZagG9zztgBOrg9ReM9IQPCgmvetq8Iu8pOOIFNmZaLz-ZaY8BKBEizTGMmds_hcgsjOpookTH-1LpUAU2bBlOq-SY9rF0KCyUkB6X0Pb=w2400.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	26694047
            LoJack is used to track stolen cars. It only emits a signal once the VIN is entered into NCIC/TCIC. it's a one time purchase good for the life of the vehicle

Comment

Based on my search of the make/model number of the unit I pulled out from under the dash, which was powered on and transmitting, this unit was most likely installed by a previous selling dealer to be used for vehicle location when they need to pick the car up due to non-payment. I understand the original purpose of the LoJack systems from back in the day, but they are mostly used by "no credit, high interest" car lots now (based on my research).

I'm just happy that whomever installed it, used the bridging harness with the OBD2 adapter, instead of cutting wires and hard-wiring it into the vehicle.

Name:	ABLVV86ix21p6rltTQKuPBnwIC9tUtg165IjjRQwDICMFgDBU-EtItJmtIWUg8l3rsRHcJPfI18u2087jyxZTn0QjsaqkmPoCVrY426hhu6GXAJlwslyPfxi=w2400.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	26694106

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                Male Karen.

Anyone that goes to the dealer, or thinks the entire time your car is on the lift it's being worked on, is a fool, and deserves to part with their money.
                So you are saying $500 for what looked like 30 minutes of work is justified and ok for the dealership? I don't care how long it is on the lift, etc. that is not a $500 job. Highway robbery and one of the reasons stealership is a word.

Comment

Looks like it took about 20 seconds to do the work.

If the dealership just flat said a new key is $500 that would be one thing. The way this goes down starting with the phone call is another.

I thought in the end when they admitted the $175/hr charge is usually pro-rated that he was going to break out the video. This is where they were the most wrong IMO. And the muli-point inspection LOL

Now lets see some hidden cameras for some better stuff like when they charge but don't do any work etc.

Comment

There used to be a local news guy in Houston that did a great job exposing the car industry. For example, an elderly lady with a newer car. He would have a mechanic inspect it, it's perfectly sound, then he would take the wire off of one spark plug to make it run rough. Then. he would take it to different shops/ dealerships. One dealership wanted to replace her engine for 7K, one wanted to do $2500 worth of work, and one put the plug wire back on and didn't charge her.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      There used to be a local news guy in Houston that did a great job exposing the car industry. For example, an elderly lady with a newer car. He would have a mechanic inspect it, it's perfectly sound, then he would take the wire off of one spark plug to make it run rough. Then. he would take it to different shops/ dealerships. One dealership wanted to replace her engine for 7K, one wanted to do $2500 worth of work, and one put the plug wire back on and didn't charge her.
                      Exactly what we need more of. Bust the scumbags.

I figured after the 1 millionth anti-dealership thread here on TBH many would like to see videos of them getting caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        I remember Marvin Zindler on local TV in Houston many years ago, but I don't know if that is who made the reports you are talking about..

Comment

Working...
                        X