Depends on area and browse. 6 plus though

Comment

6+. Most likely +

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Depends on area and browse. 6 plus though
          Webb Co

Comment

All any of us can tell you is what the “book” says for age. But the actual age is LIKELY much older, since aging by the teeth is a horrible way (VERY inaccurate) to age deer. By the book (and just a quick glance) I’d say 6. I can almost guarantee he was older than that.

Comment

Just trying to learn. What do you see that says 6 plus?

Comment

6+ no doubt according to tooth wear, but like Glen said, there are always factors. You can send the front 2 teeth and they will age the roots (more accurate). I would also guess that this buck is older than 6.
                Last edited by sako; 01-15-2024, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                  Just trying to learn. What do you see that says 6 plus?
                  Start at the 4 tooth back. When they are dished like that, the “book” says 6.

And the cementum annuli aging method is no more accurate than our guesses.

OP, Sorry for jumping on my soapbox on your thread.

Comment

How does eating soft protein feed or Cotton effect teeth wear?

Comment

This was him November of 21
                      Attached Files

Comment

And him when he died yesterday. Absolutely went downhill…maybe drought or maybe just old
                        Attached Files

Comment

Probably 8.5+

my son killled a deer this year that I’ve had pictures since 2016 and then I called him a 3 year old. His teeth looked 6, and this year he was the biggest he’s ever been, a 9 point that scored 150

Comment

Hey Jim-
                            ‘nice deer buddy. Lots of reasons I think that deer is 8+.
                            1. I hunt just south of you as you know and our deer resemble these pictures bodywise. I wish I could see his hooves and his knees but I’d bet it’s not even necessary.
                            2. I agree with Chance in that jawbone aging is horrible methodology for pinpointing a deers exact age. You can definitely identify a fawn, and a Deer that has his full molar set and potentially determine a mature deer vs post mature but I don’t think you can pinpoint it. On our lease it has been beat in our brains that the teeth are the “god” measurement and while it appears to be a close factor, we have learned that annual pictures and “knowing your herd” can disappoint even the boldest tooth experts.
                            3. You mentioned drought however I’m just south of you and we had great rains most of the year except for a small time in summer. Otherwise it was awesome. Maybe it wasn’t as wet just north of us.
                            4. Do you know the real answer here? You’ve been on that place longer than this deer has been alive. Wondering if you’re just trying to give us another lesson here.
                            5. Regardless of what that stupid jawbone says…congrats buddy

Comment

If that jawbone would have come off a buck from my ranch he’d be 10+ years old. Aging deer by teeth wear is nearly always wrong and can be as much as 50% on older deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X