Kubota Block Heater Tripping GFCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubota Block Heater Tripping GFCI

The block heater on my Kubota B2601 is tripping the GFCI. The extension cord and GFCI outlet are fine. I have plugged a couple of different electric tools into the extension cord and they ran fine. I put a work light under the hood (which probably is not doing much good). I got the tractor started yesterday but it was only about 5 below zero. It got down to 20 below zero last night. It's still -18 right now.

Any ideas on what might be wrong with the block heater. Any advice will be appreciated.

I need to plow my driveway. I have some 2-3 foot drifts where the wind blew the snow over the house/shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240114_093749.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	504.3 KB
ID:	26692071 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240114_093822.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	651.5 KB
ID:	26692072 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240114_085501_WeatherBug.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	26692073

Plug a toaster in and see how it fares. It may have something to do with a block heater being a resister that is pretty much a controlled short circuit. Or the block heater is simply has too large of a amperage draw for circuit.

Comment

Run an extension cord to a different circuit and see if still trips...

Comment

Have you plugged it in using the same outlet and cord before? If so the block heater may have shorted internally.

Comment

Try another outlet thats not on gfi loop, if it trips that probably a bad block heater. I wonder if that needs to run on a dedicated non-gfi outlet

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
            Have you plugged it in using the same outlet and cord before? If so the block heater may have shorted internally.
            Yes. It has worked on this outlet before.

I will try another outlet.

Comment

Block heaters will probably pull a lot of amps. Finding a circuit that is not already pulling many amps might be your best bet

Comment

Don't plug it in to a gfci outlet. You shouldn't have those in your shop anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  Don't plug it in to a gfci outlet. You shouldn't have those in your shop anyway
                  That’s what I would recommend. The heater will probably trip any gfci. Check the owners manual, it MAY say to use a non gfci circuit. I had that happen with a heater in our sauna when we built our house. The electrician installed a gfci breaker in the distribution panel- made sense since you pour water on the hot rocks to make steam. The heater would trip it every time. I checked with the manufacturer and they said to use a regular breaker. If it’s in the manufacturer’s specifications it is ok with code.
                  Last edited by Bill; 01-14-2024, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I think I got it going. I plugged into my 30 amp camper plug outlet. I had to dig a 30 amp plug adapter to extension cord out of the front camper storage compartment. The storage compartment door on the windward side was frozen shut. The door on the shop side was frozen but not as bad.

I watched a couple of YouTube videos about testing block heaters. The Ohm reading was 32 ohms and there was no continuity from the plug to the engine block. I checked the voltage when I plugged the block heater to the extension cord. I immediately heard a slight hissing sound coming from the block heater. I unplugged the heater and checked for voltage on the cord...still had voltage. Plugged it back in and now I am waiting. I also have a heat gun running on low blowing down on top of the engine block with some insulation laid over the block.

It has warmed up the -8 at 3:30pm. I think I will let the block heater run all night.

Thanks for the help!!

Name:	20240114_153225.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	26692316 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240114_153122.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	701.1 KB
ID:	26692317 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240114_153139.jpg
Size:	732.0 KB
ID:	26692318 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240114_153201.jpg
Size:	687.4 KB
ID:	26692319 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240114_153244_WeatherBug.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	26692320

Comment

Daggum.. you must be a tough old fart

Comment

Warmed up to -8 huh ? Coming a veritable heat wave up there in Ioway !

Comment

Thats all GCFI is good for.....I removed mine in my garage breakers and plugs.

Comment

Glad to hear that you have heat on it. If it doesn't start tomorrow, you might as well wait. I was going to suggest a space heater but I think there is some plastic that might sag if it gets too hot.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                              Glad to hear that you have heat on it. If it doesn't start tomorrow, you might as well wait. I was going to suggest a space heater but I think there is some plastic that might sag if it gets too hot.
                              Right before dark I went out and attached the work light to the battery and covered it with some insulation. I thought I would see if it would start. I lit the glow plug for about 15 seconds and then turned the key. It fired right up!!

I am going to leave the block heater on all night and leave the work light on the battery all night. It will be ready to go tomorrow.

​​​​​​​My neighbor came by to check on us in his big John Deere. He moved those big drifts by my trailer and plowed part of our drive. That will make it a lot easier for me to get the drive cleared. Temp dropping back down to -17 tonight.

Name:	FB_IMG_1705282038692.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	26692608 Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1705282018385.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	26692609 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240114_192324_WeatherBug.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	166.1 KB