Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were going to replace a water heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just replaced mine myself. Gas 40Gal AO Smith from Lowes, all parts and PVC tools needed for $601. Mine is in the garage and not the attic so it was easy to remove and replace by myself.

My first call for a quote was $2,600 & second was $2,100

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
      If you have gas, go with an instant hot.
      If you want insta hot ( intant hot water) , and it's a finished house ( plumbing not accessible) this is as close as your going to get. And a tankless or insta hot is not realy going to work with, nor are they any quicker then a tank heater. thishttps://youtu.be/aPWEACUGbJY?si=P5r0F3v0ARyv3-LL.
      New construction or reconstruction you can pipe the house differently.
      Last edited by critter69; 01-14-2024, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Keep in mind tankless heaters require a heck of a lot of power to operate. The ones I looked at required 2 Two pole 40amp breakers. That is 80amps worth of power for just hot water. Many homes have just 150-200 amp electric services. So going tankless will cost you a few sheckles if you are set up for it electrically.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
          Keep in mind tankless heaters require a heck of a lot of power to operate. The ones I looked at required 2 Two pole 40amp breakers. That is 80amps worth of power for just hot water. Many homes have just 150-200 amp electric services. So going tankless will cost you a few sheckles if you are set up for it electrically.
          This is only if you are all electric. Tankless is not beneficial without gas (LP or Nat). My Navien tankless has been great for the last 1.5yrs since I switched over from electric wtr htr to the gas tankless.
          If you can install yourself, tankless will cost you about $3k unless you have a plumber buddy who can get it for you wholesale. Cheapest route is probably gonna be go to lowes or home depot and do the install yourself and as said before, do yourself a huge solid and put in dielectric unions

Comment

Love my tankless and its not instant takes about a minute or 2 to get to the farthest shower. You ain't ever gona run out of that hot water though! Not sure I'd do it if I was just replacing one as there is some work that would have to be put into it.

Comment

Mine was just replaced. It was made in 1978. Rheem.

Comment

Tankless water heaters have their place, but are rarely advantageous over tank units, especially when the house was not plumbed and wired for them to start with.
                Last edited by Dale Moser; 01-14-2024, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Tankless water heaters have their place, but are rarely advantageous over tank units, especially when the house was not plumbed and wired for them to start with.
                  OP is gas.

Comment

Another vote for AO Smith

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I think our water heater is shot. We do not even get a full bathtub of hot water anymore. I am a bathtub guy and I can only sit in hot water up to my waist the past couple weeks before having it turn cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                        Thanks for all the info. I think our water heater is shot. We do not even get a full bathtub of hot water anymore. I am a bathtub guy and I can only sit in hot water up to my waist the past couple weeks before having it turn cold.
                        Sounds like sediment/calcium buildup. Flush it and it will probably help some.
                        annual flushing will extend the life but does not cure-all.
                        Last edited by Walker; 01-15-2024, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post

Sounds like sediment/calcium buildup. Flush it and it will probably help some.
                          annual flushing will extend the life but does not cure-all.
                          This is most likely the problem but getting that much sediment cleaned out will be tough and if it’s built up that much if you can get it cleaned out you may end up with pinhole leaks. The sediment will cause the tank to rust through. Bite the bullet and replace it

Comment

Rheem with the plastic tank

Comment

Working...
                            X