Any electricians out there?

I am looking for (4) of these adapters.

Double 4/0 input. Single 4/0 putput.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	431
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	26690893

I am running a sub-panel from my main 200 amp panel. I have the sub panel sized correctly as a 125amp panel(had an electrician run the calculations) but mistakenly purchased the 4/0 wire based on a previous plan(was my mistake).

Also, I am instaling a 5 ton HVAC system with electric heat. Only about 30 feet of cable. According to the sticker on the compressor it's a 60 amp breaker. The electric heater has 2 built in 60 amp breakers.

From what I have read online I need 4 AWG wire. My electrican frield is saying 6 AWG copper or 4 AWG aluminum. Both of these seem too large in comparison to an electric stove or electric dryer both using 10 AWG.

You might check with Elliot Electrical supply, or Dealers Supply. Just google the different ones around to figure which is closest to you.

Comment

The chart says 4AWG Copper or 3 AWG Aluminum. It is somewhat common for electricians to drop down a size if they are fairly certain that whatever appliance the circuit powers will almost never pull the 60 amps on the nameplate. Just be sure to use a 50 amp breaker in your panel to protect that smaller wire. For example, a kitchen range will likely have a 60 amp rating on the nameplate. That 60 amps comes from using all four or five burners and preheating the oven all at the same same time. It just doesn't happen much in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
        The chart says 4AWG Copper or 3 AWG Aluminum. It is somewhat common for electricians to drop down a size if they are fairly certain that whatever appliance the circuit powers will almost never pull the 60 amps on the nameplate. Just be sure to use a 50 amp breaker in your panel to protect that smaller wire. For example, a kitchen range will likely have a 60 amp rating on the nameplate. That 60 amps comes from using all four or five burners and preheating the oven all at the same same time. It just doesn't happen much in real life.
        Never underestimate another human's ability to create a situation you never thought could happen.

Retired Software Engineer, and I have a wife. I know.

Comment

What you have a picture of is for audio systems.

Comment

I'm not sure what you are going to do with the part you are looking for. You should be feeding your subpanel from a breaker. I understand you will not get the 4/0 under the lug of a 60 amp breaker. If the distance is short, buy the correct size conductors. If the distance is long, it may be easier to splice a short piece of the correct size onto the 4/0.

Comment

What are you doing with this adapter?

If you need to add length or make a connection on large wire, buy some kurneys

Comment

I would let your electrician take the lead and do it the right way.

Comment

Get an electrician. Some Codes are annoying, some help keep you safe.

Comment

The feed to your sub panel should come from a 125a breaker in your main panel.
                    It should be a 4 wire system feeding the subpanel.
                    line, line, neutral, ground.. the sub panel neutral should not be bonded to the box.

this blackburn preinsulated connector would work well.. to reduce from 4/0alum to 2 thhn.
                    polaris and i suppose iiisco would have them.
                    They are alcu rated.. gonna possibly need 8 of them along with about 8ft of 2 thhn.
                    if your ground is 2/0.. they make 1 for that size.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 01-13-2024, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Just because the sub panel is 125A doesn’t mean the circuit feeding it needs to be 125A.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
                        What you have a picture of is for audio systems.
                        You are correct. I am looking for one like it for my application.
                        Last edited by Texas Pride; 01-14-2024, 07:32 PM.

Comment

To my knowledge,
                          They do not manufacture those for your descrbed application.
                          Audio connectors are not UL approved for AC electrical connections, they have no aclu rating, no voltage rating, no amperage rating.
                          Good Luck with your search.

Comment

Working...
                          X