Self Bow/ Long bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Bow/ Long bow

I just left an estate sale and saw maybe 10 self/longbows going for $50 each. There was also a basket with wooden arrows and arrow blanks as I figured the guy made them himself. All were in great shape and seemed to be well-made. Tomorrow morning they will be 25% off. Should I go back and get one or two? I bought a really nice Demarcus dagger in like new shape for $20.
    Also, how hard would it be to put a broadhead on one of the blanks?

Not very hard. You'd just need a taper tool to taper the front of the shaft and use hot melt glue on a glue on broadhead.

Comment

To mount a broadhead you just need to taper the shaft (like a sharpened pencil) and glue on the broadhead.

Comment

Attaching a broadhead is easy - the tricky part is tuning those wood shafts to a particular bow

Comment

Be sure to spin test after install.

Comment

So where is this Estate Sale? Maybe we can save you some money.

Comment

Be careful with the self bows. When a self bow is made it’s generally made for an individual and their draw length, meaning the bow becomes accustomed to one particular draw length. A different draw length can damage it.
              I was given my first self bow and and it cracked the third time I drew it back. My next self bow I made under the tutelage of Lonny Dye and it broke in half because I believe someone that I was hunting with picked it up in my absence and drew the bow and weakened it.
              Not trying to scare you away from buying then just letting you know what you can expect.

Comment

Thank y'all for the responses. I ended up buying two nice longbows, 30 wooden blanks, and 40 fletched arrows with target points. I paid $120 for all with my 25% discount. I will try to put up pics later.

Comment

Wow, sounds like you got a heck of a deal to me. Hope they pan out for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X