Building 450+ grain arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building 450+ grain arrows

Going on a Newfoundland moose hunt in Sept. They are smaller than Alaska moose, but still pretty big. I have been building my regular arrows for years with Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575, Blaser vanes and 100gr BH, aluminum inserts.

End up at 380gr. Everything I have read says I need 450+. Going to 125gr head only gets me to 405.

I have looked at FMJs since they are heavier, but I dont want to go down on shaft size because I will have to adjust my nocking point or rest due to the smaller dia. when going back to my regular arrows.

Any ideas? Thinking about adding brass inserts instead of aluminum but not sure if that much FOC will be counterproductive. Been a while since I have dealt with the technical stuff

The easiest thing for you to do would be order a dozen gold tip brass .246 inserts and replace the aluminum ones that are in the shafts you already have. I would wait to do all of them though and just do one or two because you may end up needing to step up in spine stiffness. You could also go with the 50gr aluminum inserts that gold tip makes and use a 125 gr head.

IMO you'll find that the 475-500gr arrows are the perfect all around arrow for any situation and any animal.

Comment

I've got 21 6mm fmj that would get you to about 425 with a 125g BH. Could always add weight to the insert. The good thing about the 6mm is they take a standard insert and are around normal size.

Comment

Just buy a dz FMJ’s. My 5MM, .400 spine FMJ’s with 4” wrap, 3 blazer vanes, standard 16gr aluminum insert and a 100gr point/broadhead weigh in at 498gr.

Bisch

Comment

I have killed 4 moose with a bow. I agree with the arrow weight. Mine have all been with arrows in the 450-500 grain range. It's not that hard to change diameters. I personally would go with a 5 mm shaft such as axis, victory or Sirius. Go for a bit more foc with a 50 or 100 grain insert and a collar. I use a 50 grain iron will hit insert and an ethics 40 grain steel collar. I think those with a 300 spine victory rip tko are 485 grains. I have a similar setup with victory 250 spines and 150 grain heads that come in right about 600 grains. Moose aren't hard to kill but you do need some penetration. Use a good head like an iron will or qad exodus.

Comment

I shot my moose with a 525 grain arrow. Easton Axis 300, 50 gr brass insert, 125 gr Iron Will broad head. Double
            lung, arrow zipped through him like butter. Shot was a little over 65 yards, arrow went about 40 yards after pass through. I would get as close to 500 gr as possible.

Comment

You can get the brass inserts and use Ape Tails by NuFletch. It will add weight to the rear of your arrow, balancing out your FOC. Also, arrows will be cut shorter and it will stiffen the spine. I use them with my set ups and really enjoy them. I get great performance. Plus, easy lighted nocks, easiest way to travel since you can remove your fletching and replace them quickly and easily.

Comment

I have noticed considerably better performance since going from a sub-400gr to a 515gr set up. Just deer and hogs (no moose…yet!). Easton Axis with I think a 100gr insert. 125gr heads. I don’t like FMJ’s just because they can bend. When you get up to the 500gr range, it’s just a different ballgame.

Comment

I have always shot heavy arrows but after 50+ years I am now shooting arrows that are around 500 grains with 19 % FOC. Dr Ashby has tons of documented research on heavy arrows with high FOC being best for killing animals. The Ranch Fairy is continuing his research with the support of an aerodynamic engineer.
                  Sirius Archery is making some of the best arrows out there and have teamed up with the Ranch Fairy and have an arrow tuning kit that I purchased and used to pick the best arrows for my bow. Two different shafts, 2each and 5 field points, 2 each, from 100 to 200 grains. You mix and match to find the best flyers for. Your bow. PShooting a Switchback at 59 pounds at 28 1/2 draw I am shooting the arrows I mentioned above. They are 29 inch long with a 200 grain 2 blade single bevel head with a total of 325 grains up front. I can shoot these bare shaft and they fly like a dart. Bullet holes thru paper at 6 to 20 yards. Do yourself a favor and check them out.
                  Don’t over look the heavy single bevel two bladed heads. The design breaks bone!!
                  I would not hesitate using this set up to moose hunt.
                  Best of luck to you on your hunt.

Comment

Camofire has a good sale on Easton's today! I'd go 5mm Axis.....best arrows on the planet

Comment

OP this was deep hole when I started looking into in 2014.

Enjoy the journey. Its left me thinking and asking how did the Native Americans killed Buffalo.

Here' a link to A website that has Dr. Ashby's reports and such that BO-N-ARO referred too. https://grizzlystik.com/

There is also a thread on here title FOC Increase. There was over 1000 replies and had lots of info that covered building heavy arrows and High FOC arrows. enewman also shared some of his research into arrows.
                      FOC Increase thread can be found here. FWIW I know the OP of that thread. He still hasn't found his perfect arrow YET. 0:-) https://www.texasbowhunter.com/discussions/forums/forum/topics/equipment-and-tuning/494965-foc-increase/page1

muddyfuzzy is/was one of our arrow builders.
                      Last edited by Pushbutton2; 01-13-2024, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X